Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Online Thrift Store

I’m a garage sale junkie. I love spending my Saturday mornings combing the nearby neighborhoods for treasures. Sadly, with winter on the way, the sales are slacking off. My second-hand shopping opportunities are now limited to thrift stores and the internet.

Although I always intend to shop thrift stores, I seldom go. I hate the drive (especially through the dreary winter landscape) and I don’t like rubbing shoulders with my fellow second-hand shoppers. (I admit, the last bit sounds snobbish.)

I’ve had mixed success second-hand shopping on the internet. Ebay has become overpriced. I visit Craigslist often, but it isn’t as active in Cincinnati as it is in other locations (like Chicago). I avidly read our online bulletin board at work, but seldom find anything to purchase.

Yesterday, spurred by a reference in a fellow Cincinnatian’s blog, I discovered an online site that combines the best of thrift stores (cheap and unusual wares) and on-line shopping (convenience). At the risk of generating more competition for the items I bid on, I will be gracious enough to share it: www.shopgoodwill.com. Like ebay, it is auction based and there are shipping prices to pay. However, the prices start and end much lower. Only the best of Goodwill’s donations end up on the site. Evidently, some of them must be quite valuable. For example, there is a vase up for auction that has reached over $700 in bids. Most items go for much less. For anyone interested in antiques, period pieces, shabby chic, and kitsch, this site is mecca.

(Brit - you HAVE to check out the textiles!)

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I often wonder what is wrong with people on ebay. Why would I bay 9 dollars (starting bid) plus 4.25 in shipping for a Thomas the Tank Engine I can buy at the toy store for $7.50? The thinking seems unclear. Thanks for sharing the goodwill.....

8:32 AM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

It's definitely getting more popular. I haven't actually won anything that I've bid on yet, but my Dad has. Of course, Goodwill is our second home anyway!

7:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I shop there all the time, and I've bought some cool junk. SOOO much nicer than Ebay. Cincinnati has some good thrift stores, but pawing through all that stuff can be daunting. Hey, I hope goodwill's site stays small...

7:39 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Another great site is http://jooxter.com

I've gotten some decent items for only the cost of shipping.

4:52 PM  
Blogger Adi said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

8:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home