Wednesday, November 02, 2005

See My Big Bush

We’ve been in our house over a year and the identities of a few of the pre-existing plants are still unknown. This shrub was one of the mysteries until cool Fall temperatures caused it to reveal its true colors. I think I can now confidently say that this is a burning bush, Euonymus alata. If so, it is the biggest burning bush I’ve seen in the city. I don’t think I’ve seen another specimen more than four feet high and wide. I’m not sure if my shrub is larger than the others because of its age (unknown, but assumed to be great) or the greater popularity of dwarf variety, 'Compacta.' I don’t mind its size; there is more to love! I spent the spring and summer thinking that this was a boring shrub, but I can’t stop looking at it now.

(Have you noticed yet that I am wearing the same clothes in almost all of my pictures? I have no excuse. I love my gardening grubbies!)

8 Comments:

Blogger Susan Harris said...

Love the title but Kasmira, you naughty girl.

2:38 PM  
Blogger Ms. P in Jackson said...

Oooh, I'm so glad you identified this. They are all over here in lower southern Michigan and I want to plant a couple in my yard. They are absolutley gorgeous. I even stopped and pulled some twigs off of one so that it could be identified at a nursery but you have already done that.

3:11 PM  
Blogger Jocelyn said...

heeheh. Made me chuckle that. Nice bush! ;oP

4:58 PM  
Blogger Sandy said...

They look great with snow on their branches too. This is a lovely specimen!!!

5:12 PM  
Blogger Diana LaMarre said...

Beautiful. Almost looks like a tree. Does yours have the little orange berries on it yet?

4:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Niiiice.

8:22 PM  
Blogger Kasmira said...

It does have orange berries, but they're hard to spot among the brilliant leaves.

7:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Holy crap!

That is the biggest burning I have ever seen. We had tons in our neighborhood growing up (northern Ohio), but they must all have been dwarf.

12:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home