Friday, November 18, 2005

It Isn't Easy Being Green

What I hate about winter, even more than the cold, is the darkness. It’s dark when I leave for work and it is dark when I return. All day long, sunbeams flirt through the window near my cubicle, filling me with restless energy. By the time I’m released from my corporate chains, though, the disk is slipping over the horizon.

Because I only see my home in the dark, I didn’t even notice the destruction that Wednesday night’s below-freezing temperatures had wreaked on my garden. Last night, with the aid of a clear sky’s twilight, I surveilled the damage. The hydrangea that was still green and thirsty this weekend is now a black lump. My gaillardia blooms have frozen in place. Even the vigorous coreopsis foliage has begun to sag. My plants and I have been shocked into winter.

I knew the cold and darkness would come and I made plans to keep myself busy this winter, working through projects to teach myself basic carpentry. So far, though, I haven’t made any progress. Walking home from the bus stop in the cold night air, all I want to do next is eat dinner and then plop on the couch with my blanket of cats and a book until bedtime.

I feel like a plant myself, entering dormancy without sunshine. I don’t feel alive until the weekend, when I can use the sun’s energy to run errands and work on projects. Is it possible that I have chlorophyll in my veins?

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice picture princess. I have to agree with you on the sun thing. I get so much more done in the summer...weird same amount of hours...where as in the winter I'm ready for beda t 5:30

10:43 AM  
Blogger Jenn said...

I feel your pain.

12:40 PM  
Blogger Susan Harris said...

I think that like any animal, we need to transition between the seasons, which is the excuse I've given myself for not jumping immediately into my winter plans. For me the shift is like turning around an aircraft carrier.

12:59 PM  
Blogger Susan Harris said...

I forgot to give you a you-go-girl for taking up carpentry!

1:04 PM  
Blogger Stuart said...

Kasmira - I'm feeling kind of guilty at the moment because it's totally the opposite here in sunny Busselton. The days are getting longer, I'm thinking of going down the beach and my plants are going ballistic.

Sorry to burden you with all that. Just think - it's one day closer to Spring!!

9:57 PM  
Blogger OldRoses said...

Winter is for curling up on the couch with the cat and lots of garden catalogs!

2:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home