Saturday, November 05, 2005

Poppies DO Have Fall Foliage

I nearly pulled my newly planted Oriental Poppy out of the ground this morning. I had the unfamiliar, but weedy-looking, leaves gathered neatly in my hand and was just about to give it a good yank when I realized that I had planted a bare-root poppy here only a few weeks ago. I checked the locations of the other two roots and found similar leaves emerging.

These are my first poppies. I remember reading that they die back during the summer and re-emerge in the fall, but I didn't expect growth on my just planted bare roots. I suppose this is a sign that my roots were received in good condition.

I'm still a little rattled from the near miss, though. Maybe I should stick my tags in the ground after all.

1 Comments:

Blogger Tami said...

I think every gardener has had at least one "near miss" if they are lucky and an "oops" if they are not. At least it wasn't some hired "gardener" that pulled it up, that is such a common tale of woe I hear from older gardeners that have resorted to gardening help. There are so many "landscapers" out there that don't know anything about plants! It is one of my biggest pet peeves!!!

Tami

9:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home