Tuesday, November 08, 2005

100 Crocuses

On Sunday morning, I planted 100 crocuses along my stepping stone walk. To non-gardeners 100 sounds like a lot of bulbs, but the gardeners know that it’s only a start. I’ll admit, even though I think I’m a gardener, I was a bit daunted by the thought of digging 100 individual holes (no bouquet-planting in this location) but it was SO EASY and FAST.

First, I dumped my two packages of bulbs into a plastic tub. Then, I strolled down my walk, scattering bulbs to achieve that “natural” look. Eventually, the walk will be contained within only a 3-foot swath of grass, so the bulbs had to land within the future path width. Of course, I ran out of bulbs before I reached the end, so I had to redistribute a few to get an even effect.

Scattering bulbs was fun for both me and the kitties, but I anticipated that the digging would be a chore. When I bought the bulbs (at White Oak Garden Center), I also purchased my 3rd trowel of the season. The previous two trowels were pieces of crap. They both bent the moment I plunged them into the soil and pried at the gummy clay. I examined a $9.99 Bono trowel at the garden center and then asked a member of the staff about its sturdiness. I was assured that it was the finest trowel the garden center carried. Seeing that I was also purchasing bulbs, a bulb-planter was recommended, but I’ve heard too many bad reviews of those devices to even bother trying. I purchased the fancy trowel and hoped for the best.

If I could marry that trowel, I might. It performed fabulously. I crawled across the lawn and dug 100 holes in record time. As I located each bulb (not an easy feat in our long grass), I put it out of harm’s way, dug two sides of a hole, pried the plug up, popped the bulb in, and tamped the turf back into place. The trowel didn’t even threaten to bend. It was $9.99 well spent.

Planting 100 bulbs into individual holes was much more pleasant than I expected. Now I just need to motivate myself to sink the remaining 26 of the 28 stepping stones so that we can mow the lawn next summer. But even with long grass, won't this path be an absolute vision in the spring?

5 Comments:

Blogger Nystral Djo said...

Hey Kas,
I absolutely love my bulb planter! I don't know who you've been talking to, but I highly recommend having one.

The walk looks great!

1:36 PM  
Blogger Gary said...

Hey, watch out! That flirtatious trowel may be leading you up the garden path!

2:49 PM  
Blogger SmilingJudy said...

Passing on the bulb planter was a smart move. They're completely useless in heavy clay.

3:39 PM  
Blogger Jenn said...

Sweet. That is going to look so sweet. Don't forget to give us a photo!

6:32 AM  
Blogger OldRoses said...

Oooooh, I can't wait for pictures next spring. Crocuses increase every year so your walk will get better and better. BTW, I've been using a bulb planter for 20 years. I don't know how it would work in clay soil though.

2:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home