Monday, December 26, 2005

Bedroom Bench

Maybe I should rename this blog "Kasmira's Bragging Page." I have yet another completed project to share/crow about.

This bench represents my first foray into furniture making. Constructing it was educational, to say the least. It took many more screws and braces than I would have thought necessary to support mere human weight. In the end, though, it's functional and somewhat pleasing to the eye. The legs are old stairway spindles from Building Value. The seat is constructed from two planks I found in my neighbor's trash and screwed together with pieces of 2x4. I topped the wooden structure with 2-inch foam and upholstery fabric from Hobby Lobby. The bench is 5 feet long and 18.5 inches wide. It cost about $65 in materials, which I consider pretty reasonable. I plan on edging it in fringe, when I find some on sale.

I'm on a furniture making roll now, with an accent table currently in the works. I think I'm rapidly approaching the point where I've developed enough handy skills to tackle a substantial project, like hanging my new kitchen door. The problem is, these little projects are so FUN! (And low risk.)

5 Comments:

Blogger Jenn said...

Yay! Fringe. I LOVE fringe.

Looks great. Watch that span, tho... depending on the thinkness of your planks, you may have to limit the weight you put on that span.

Sit near the legs and it should be fine.


I like your craft projects, keep sharing them.

8:21 AM  
Blogger Diana LaMarre said...

I like seeing your projects, too. The bench looks great--be sure to show it to us when you add the fringe. I am curious to see what color it will be.

2:14 PM  
Blogger OldRoses said...

I'm so impressed! I thought the cat tree was a triumph, but this is even better made from found materials.

9:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, you amde that yourself. Pretty cool. You should take up more and more challenging projects now.

2:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very Nice!!!

I do the same sort of thing all the time at my blog too! < www.junkcreation.com >

I refer to what you did as "dumpster diving," but I don't consider this an insult. I hope you don't either!

I wouldn't have guessed you made it yourself! Well done!

6:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home