Friday, December 02, 2005

Schism

Sometimes I feel like I have a split personality. Not a Dr. Jeckyll/Mr. Hyde sort of split, but, instead, wildly divergent personal tastes. For instance, when it comes to music, I love both opera and country. I like to shoot guns and dance ballet. The interior of my home is decorated with a heavy Asian influence, but the garden is English cottage. The discontinuity between the inside and outside of the house sometimes bothers me, but the garden style I’ve chosen is the only one that would mesh with the house’s Cape Cod exterior.

In my wildest daydreams, though, I live in a Morrocan palace and the exterior is a mix of lush palms, intricate tile work, and shimmering pools. You can imagine that when I read this NY Times article on the pictured home’s landscaping and viewed the accompanying slide show, I was drooling. And seriously considering moving to California. In a garden like this, I think I’d miss some of the traditional cottage garden plants, but I’d comfort myself with oodles of jasmine. I’d have no disparity in style between the inside and outside of the house because, believe me, cottagey interiors (as cute as shabby chic is) are NOT my thing.

I believe you’ll need to register with the NY Times (it’s free) to view the article and slideshow, but it’s totally worth it.

6 Comments:

Blogger Susan Harris said...

Thanks - that was amazing!

6:46 PM  
Blogger Stuart said...

Kasmira, you're obviously coming to terms with your gardening bi-polar very well. Having the incredible contrasts that you do is one thing. Living with it is another!
Still, I have to agree. Life is too short to have only one style so make the most of having as many as you can get away with is my philosophy.

9:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Uh what rock have you been hiding under? Cottage living isn't about cottagey interiors or shabby chic. It is about being yourself...Check out Cottage Living magazine
http://www.cottageliving.com. A home should reflect who you are. and with your Cape Cod...you can bring touches of the Asian outside. Think about dark brown paint instead of white with deep red accents. Touches of asian hardscape. More evergreen, pines Tree peonies. Just don't go overboard.

4:06 AM  
Blogger Jenn said...

Heh.

Anon has a point, although 'the rock' might be one you find that you can center in a bed of low-laying plant material as a miniture mountain.

Tweaking a bit of the colors in the 'decor' of the garden can do interesting things for the mood and style, very like your beautiful bedroom wall.

Hope your carpentry gives you opportunity to play with this idea. I'm looking forward to see great ideas you come up with next!

7:33 AM  
Blogger Adi said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

12:28 AM  
Blogger Adi said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

7:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home