Friday, December 02, 2005

Show Me Your Workshop!

One of my projects this winter is to teach myself carpentry or, rather, how to make things out of wood. (Real carpenters probably wouldn’t deign to call what I’m doing carpentry.) I’m slowly building my skills and cobbling together a collection of tools. One of the biggest obstacles to my progress is my lack of quality work space.

This is a photo of my “workshop.” I’m working in the invigoratingly brisk, but reasonably well-lit, basement. I have a table of sorts set up between two sawhorses, but much of my work is done on the slanting, concrete floor. The most inconvenient part about working down here is not evident in the photo: the smell. The cats’ three litter boxes are located in the basement. I clean them before I begin my nightly sessions, but, invariably, at least one cat will take a dump while I’m working. To them, “Kasmira-work-time” is “take-a-smelly-shit-time”. Seriously, if there were more of me, I’d unionize and lobby for better working conditions!

You’d be amazed at what I can accomplish down here (current project to be unveiled soon). The second project to be completed after the current one will be a workbench. I can’t do much about the smell, but I can find a better place to work than the floor.

My request to all housebloggers and sundry handypeople is to SHOW ME YOUR WORKSHOP! Is it as pitiable as mine or inspiring? (If inspiring, don’t be surprised if I copy your design!)

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ours is pitiable, as it is nonexistant. We have to rig up something in the back yard and then take it all down when we're done with the project or when rain threatens. I'm looking forward to seeing others', though!

Heidi
http://statelyenglishmanor.typepad.com

8:55 AM  
Blogger Derek said...

Our workshop is a work in progress, like the house is. I plan on building a workbench this winter, since ours is too low, and doesn't have a vice etc. I've seen a couple good plans online. Storage is the other problem, it seems you can never have enough shelving.

9:52 AM  
Blogger SmilingJudy said...

I inherited a pretty nice workbench in the basement. However, plants take priority over wood shop. It's usually covered with gardening paraphenalia such as my grow-light setup.

10:09 AM  
Blogger HomeImprovementNinja said...

I have a lot of tools, but, alas, no workshop. I think when I am done fixing the house, I'll move all my tools into the basement and set up a nice workshop.

If you're really interested in woodworking, there's a show on the DIY network called "wood works" where they show you different woodworking techniques and how to use them to make things like bookcases and tables and whatnots. Whatnots are my favorite.

10:29 AM  
Blogger Nystral Djo said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

12:43 PM  
Blogger Nystral Djo said...

We look forward to someday having a nice big workshop in the basement instead of in its current location: the Master Bedroom.

http://www.raisetheranch.com/blog/november05/workroom.jpg

A girl can dream... ;)

12:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home