Monday, May 21, 2007

First Harvest

I made my first big harvest from the potager this weekend. The radishes were bolting, so I added them, along with cilantro from my garden, to the Asian Coleslaw I prepared for a picnic. I was so proud to bring a dish containing things I had grown myself! Despite a degree in botany, it still seems like magic to me that I can tuck a seed in the ground and, voilá, a few weeks later I have food.

The radishes weren’t entirely successful. A number of them didn’t develop bulbs at all. There didn’t seem to be any rhyme or reason to those that developed and those that didn’t. For instance, I found this enormous radish next to some with nothing more than a red root.



For the record, I DID wash it before eating. (It was actually added to the salad.) And, despite its large size, it was sweet and juicy. Mmmm….proud, magic radishes.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Blogger kate said...

That's a great picture. Your expression is priceless. Talk about large - the radish is gigantic, especially since it is only late May.

There is something special about adding produce that one has grown to dishes.

7:21 PM  
Blogger Carol Michel said...

I'm glad you washed the radish before it eating it.

A degree in botany, interesting. And do you do anything with that degree in "real life" other than garden?

7:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow, I can't believe you're harvesting already, we haven't even transplanted to the ground here in the rain state.

8:19 PM  
Blogger Kasmira said...

Brit - I WISH it were raining here. I'm having to do so much watering already!

Carol - I haven't done much with the Botany degree. Worked for the Nat'l Bio Svc and the Forest Service. Tried to teach, but no one wanted me.

6:30 AM  
Blogger Tira said...

Great pics-nothing like the satisfaction of harvesting (and eating) your own home grown produce. I also experienced the same thing this month-radishes with roots and some with none. I hope you didn't toss the radish tops-as they make great sautéed greens and also radish and potatoes soup.

6:45 AM  
Blogger Diana LaMarre said...

LOL, that radish pic would be a good profile picture for the summer!

8:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home