Friday, May 04, 2007

Big Jack

It’s been a rough week. By yesterday (Thursday) I was thoroughly confused about what day it was. At one point, I thought it was Friday, so I published “My Favorite Spot.” Whoops. So, today, in place of the usual Friday offering, I’d like to share more pictures of my loverly Jack-in-the-Pulpit.

Reportedly, Arisaema can grow to three feet tall. I’d like to see that! I am thoroughly impressed with my 20-inch specimen, which sports a nearly 3/4 inch diameter base. Regrettably, I couldn’t get Zoro to pose with it again, for scale.

Even if they hadn’t grown to be such monsters, I’d remain enamoured with my Jacks. They are so secretive, with the odd flowers tucked beneath the tripartite leaves. The subtle green stripes of the spathe glow when backlit by the sun. They encourage me to indulge in a bit of imagination play. I like to pretend I’m only 6 inches tall, and walking through a magical forest of Jack-in-the-Pulpit. In fact, if I were so small, I could crawl inside the spathe myself. I wonder if Jack would mind making room for me in there.

I’m meeting a swapper from my plant swap group this weekend, and he’s offering me more Jacks, along with bleeding heart, in return for a few of my seed-grown Heuchera. How could I say no?

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger KC MO Garden Guy said...

Wow, I didn't know Jack could grow so big. Here is the midwest he just gets a couple of inches tall. Good job. You are also lucky to have such a good plant swap friend.

4:50 AM  
Blogger kate said...

You couldn't say no - Jack in the Pulpit is meant to be in your garden. It looks gorgeous. I loved the idea of being little enough to walk through a forest. They are such majestic plants.

I hope you get other good swaps too!

9:31 AM  
Blogger Sylvana said...

I have some wild jack-in-the-pulpit in my garden that I saved from one of my rental homes - the renters were mowing it!!

I wasn't sure how it would deal with the move, but they liked it just fine. Mine get about 15-20 inches high, but I have seen them over 2' tall before

6:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home