Monday, May 07, 2007

Whackin'

Merry Christmas to us! We finally used the $50 Home Depot gift certificate that Mike’s sister gave to us for Christmas. With it, we purchased a Black and Decker Grass Hog. I love it!

Prior to this purchase, we had been using a $2, gas-powered line trimmer from an estate sale. It didn’t work so well, and Mike finally abandoned it. Because I was afraid of both the gas engine and the whacker itself (my father always behaved as if it could take a leg off), I was left to trimming my beds with scissors. Yes, SCISSORS. Now that I have four island beds and ten or so borders, the scissors and I can no longer keep up.

So, last night, after a big beer at BWW, I did some drunk shopping at Home Depot (Mike drove) and then some slightly intoxicated weed whacking (which sobers one up pretty quickly). I did have the presence of mind to don my safety goggles. While I doubt that the line could actually amputate a limb, grass in the eye could really hurt. Using the trimmer was a little more physically demanding than I thought it would be (rough on the wrist), it was much easier than scissors and my beds have never looked so good. I’m a now a whacker!

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger Sylvana said...

I love weed whackers.

6:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I also love my weed whacker! Don't ya love the tinkling feeling you have afterwards? ; )
It's good for trimming inside gardens too(I get that Creeping Charlie weed) and then you rake out the debris. I usually hoe the rest.
What I want is an electric edger thing-a-ma-jig.

8:12 PM  
Blogger Ms. Conduct said...

Oh, I have that whacker! Though I use it with the second handle on top instead of underneath the stick. Maybe that would help the wrist fatigue? Congrats on the new toy!

8:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nothing beats an electic whacker, it's one of the best investments you can make!!!!

It seems that every year or two I would have to buy a new gas whacker to the tune of $100-150. Inevitably, the rubber gas lines would dry up and crack and during a whacking session would start spewing oily gas and they were almost impossible to replace; Not to mention it would take me about ten minutes just to get one started. In late '05 I bought an electric whacker and I will never look back.

Congratulations, you made a very wise purchase.

4:35 AM  
Blogger Gretchen said...

I too have come to know the joys of electric whacking. An old boyfriend left his at my house and I continue to find all kinds of ways to tidy up with it.

9:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home