Monday, March 26, 2007

180 Crocus

Fall of 2005, I planted 100 crocus along the front walk, thinking that I’d have a veritable flower carpet in the spring. Spring 2006 arrived, and I was underwhelmed, so I planned to plant more crocus along the walk in the fall. Fall of 2006, I added 80 more bulbs. (Amazingly, I didn’t run into a single one of the first 100 while digging the next 80 holes.) Spring has come again and I still don’t think I have enough crocus for my desired effect!



I think I am still unhappy with the number of blooms for two reasons:
1. The crocus haven’t had time to naturalize into nice clumps.
2. We mowed too early last year and some of the Fall 2005 planted bulbs weren’t able to store enough energy for a good show this year.

This season, I’ll be sure to keep Mike and the lawn mower away from the front path until at least the first of May. And, I think I’ll add 200 more bulbs to the walk this Fall. Maybe I’ll have my flower carpet by Spring 2008?

Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger kate said...

It looks good already, but a few more hundred would look fantastic ... and yes, keep that lawnmower away from the path!

Your blog is a great read!

12:11 PM  
Blogger Felicia said...

my husband HATES it when I try to naturalize things!
it looks nice....

9:28 PM  
Blogger OldRoses said...

You don't really need to add more bulbs. You just need to add patience! Your walk will look great in a few years when the crocus have had a chance to multiply.

8:04 AM  
Blogger Gotta Garden said...

What a lovely idea! I don't know how you planted them, but I would suggest planting in groups of 8-10. Over time, they will spread around (my nextdoor neighbors have a purple crocus blooming in their front yard...in the middle of the grass....and they've never planted crocus...we also found some more crocus foliage nearby...I think maybe the squirrels helped here, but who knows) and multiply. Also, some varieties just don't seem (for me, at least) to hang around (again, maybe the squirrels). At any rate, keep trying because, as Henry Mitchell says, we gardeners are defiant!

Good luck with it...and do plant more this fall! When you get your carpet, we will all celebrate with you!

12:09 PM  
Blogger Sylvana said...

I planted about 100 Pickwick crocuses in the front of my house, and the first spring I was underwhelmed too. It's taken 4 years, but they are finally filling in nicely!

6:09 PM  
Blogger Ms. Jane D'oh said...

great to see. i think it looks really good. better than my front yard attempt.

2:36 PM  
Blogger Kylee Baumle said...

I did the same thing two falls ago, and was equally underwhelmed. Ours are at the base of a large tree, and while they are pretty, I need MORE!!

9:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home