Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Sidetracked, For Now

Mike and I took a trip to Gatlinburg in mid-October. It was great to spend time together without all the demands of school, work, home, hobbies, and pets (four cats can be a handful). We spent hours talking. Over breakfast one morning, while in one of my more philosophical moods, I declared that Mike’s personality could be summed up in one word: “winner.” As evidence, I pointed out how he likes to “win” at everything: school, arguments, poker, ultimate Frisbee, driving, naming the artist of songs playing on the radio. I asked him what my word would be and he said that he didn’t know. (Mike doesn’t like to play the psychoanalyze game.) Undaunted by his lack of participation in my philosophical ruminations, I decreed myself “creator.”

I’m not referring to my goddess complex. Rather, I realized that a common thread runs among the things I like to do; they all involve making something. Cooking (when I actually do that), sewing, decorating, acting, woodworking, dancing, writing, and gardening are all creative activities. I think most gardeners are creative types. With winter approaching, the gardening blogs I read are full of knitting, quilting, tablescapes, decorating, and cooking. Cozy, homey activities.

I’d be at home, making something too (like the windowboxes that I bought all this darn wood for last spring) and posting all about it on this blog, but I’ve been sidetracked by one of my out-of-the-home creative activities – acting. Generally, I don’t post details about my shows because it would mostly be full of complaints about actors who don’t learn their lines (argh!) or directors that keep me up past my bedtime. I need to keep those thoughts private if I want anyone to ever cast me again. Even if I did use the web to publicly rant, it wouldn’t be on this blog, but on Wawa’s World.

The point of all this, and I do have a point, is that my blogging here will be sporadic until spring. I plan on getting some projects done during the holidays, but most of my free time is taken up with learning lines, rehearsing, performing, and recovering from wild cast parties. (Oh yeah, and I have to work full-time too, pbbbbbt!) My creative juices are still flowing, just not in a home and garden sort of way. I’m still here and reading all of your blogs, though.

2 Comments:

Blogger Renee Beaulieu said...

Think of this as "dormancy." All plants do it, the garden does, so it's quite natural that the gardener would, too. Except that instead of napping, you're as busy as ever, but maybe with slightly less beat-up fingernails?

12:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you are “right on” about gardeners being creative types. Think about this for a moment. So many people are burned out, depressed, and lacking direction in life. Yet, people who are creative, such as gardeners, always seem to have something worthwhile to do. I am honestly thankful that I am “hooked” on gardening. It's probably one of the few "addictions" that is truly healthy!

7:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home