Friday, March 09, 2007

Early March Bulb Update

My first flowers of 2007 have appeared: snowdrops and witch hazel.

The snowdrops in my yard always seem to be a bit later than others in Zone 6. It could be because I disturb the bulbs every year. I really need to stop digging in the corner bed. I enjoy snowdrops and I’d like to remember to buy a whole boat load for the North Corner next fall. Tim has promised me some of his, but so far it’s only talk.

I bought the witch hazel (Arnold’s Promise) for its reputed scent. Admittedly, half the shrub has died, but even when I bury my nose in the flowers on the other half, I don’t smell a thing. I’m starting to think my sniffer isn’t as sophisticated as I once supposed. Migonette smells like old Mexican food and my witch hazel is scentless. Huh.

While not yet in flower, I see foliage from these bulbs or bulb-like plants:

  • English Bluebells
  • Hyacinths
  • Daffodils
  • Crocus
  • Iris reticulata
  • Allium (but they sprouted in the fall!)
  • Grape hyacinth (another fall sprouter)

No sign of life from the tulips or miniature daffodils yet. This is the first time I’ve grown species tulips or miniature daffodils, so I don’t know if I should be expecting leaves yet. Last year, the hybridized tulips (Darwin-ish type), began blooming in mid-April. I guess I’ll have to wait another month to see if the squirrels ate them.

Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have you tried winter aconite? They bloom the earliest of all, and naturalize like crazy! I love to drive through the "Woodland Section" of Spring Grove Cemetery starting in late January, just to see the huge sweeps of pure gold when the aconites bloom. You can collect seeds and scatter them, or buy bulbs.

2:46 PM  
Blogger Renee Beaulieu said...

Wecome back! Sorry to say, 'Arnold's Promise' is scentless. I've read in a couple of places that 'Pallida' is very fragrant, but the one in my former garden wasn't, except on very warm days -- and even then, not heavily scented. Don't give up on Arnold's, though -- witch hazels are slow to grow, but so wonderful to have this time of year before much else is coloring up... I think snowdrop varieties are kind of mixed up in the trade, so it's possible you have the latest-blooming species, and friends have earlier ones. They look awfully similar -- the bloom time is the biggest difference among the species.

6:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I seem to recall that you have a shovel, and you know where the snowdrops are. C'mon over and take as many as you want. You can take some of the winter aconite as well.

TK

7:59 PM  
Blogger Kasmira said...

Renee - I'm glad you commented! I had read somewhere that Arnold's Promise was scented, but reports aren't always reliable. Now I know it isn't just me.

Anonymous (Tim) - Have shovel, will dig!

7:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The 'Arnold's Promise' at the Civic Garden Center is in full beautiful bloom right now, so I went over for a sniff, and it was fragrant! It's not a strong scent, but light and lotion-y.

7:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home