Wednesday, November 22, 2006

29 Days Left

Yesterday, after I wrote a post about how I wouldn’t be posting much (how ironic is that?), I realized that we had one month left until the winter solstice. Hooray!

Why am I excited? It isn’t just because I’m a pagan. It isn’t just because the solstice marks the point at which the days actually start to get LONGER again. It is because the solstice is the traditional day to begin Winter Sowing! Yes, I still have plants from last year’s winter sowing extravaganza to put in the ground, but I couldn’t help buying more seeds. I found a bunch of fun shade and wildflower seeds on the Garden Makers website. They’ve been chilling in my fridge since September.

I thought I’d give everyone a (little less than) one month warning so that you could be sure to procure your seeds before December 21. If you haven’t tried Winter Sowing before, visit the “how to” page and the Winter Sowing forum on GardenWeb. I’ll be keeping you up to date with lists of seeds sown and exciting pictures of milk jugs filled with dirt.

5 Comments:

Blogger Annie in Austin said...

Hi Kasmira,

Cowtown Pattie has a link to how some people are celebrating the solstice, on her November 20th post
http://texastrifles.blogspot.com/

It involves many people and positive energy... so be warned!

Good luck with your newest plant babies.

Annie at the Transplantable Rose

9:11 AM  
Blogger Shelby said...

hello . . love your blog .. happy Thanksgiving! :)

1:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for the tips on Winter Sowing.

With all the crap in the news about Iraq and politics, it's great to read about someone who is so enthusiastic about planting seeds and gardening.

6:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I work for an online store that sells area rugs and our best time of year is the winter when people are inside and thinking about decorating. But I hate the cold and can’t wait to get back outside. We have now passed the solstice and it is staying light later each day. This is the stretch where we need posts the most. Discussions about, or better yet a picture of, anything growing helps. Thanks,

11:59 AM  
Anonymous pop said...

Your site is very informative. thanks for the great content!

11:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home