Friday, June 16, 2006

My Favorite Spot, June 16th

What could be more romantic than a garden gate? It promises a secret world within. The view from here certainly looks enticing, even if reality may not quite measure up.

I can’t claim that I had anything to do with designing our gate, but I did repair the chewed bottom and Mike and Pixie gave the whole thing a fresh coat of white.

The tall grass to the left is zebra grass from Patrick. It looks gorgeous with the red rose that is currently between blooms. I was cursing this grass last year because it would cut me (and actually draw blood) every time I brushed by it while wheeling the barrow. This year, I’m using the gate on the other side of the house for large loads and I have made peace with the grass. To the right, I’ve planted Alexander lysimachia (also from Patrick) and silk road lilies (about to burst). There is also a trellis, just past the right of the edge of the photo, that hosts a baby Carolina jessamine vine. I’m hoping for blooms next year.

Although I use the alternate entrance for the wheelbarrow, I still use this gate as I make my daily rounds of the garden. I’m always careful to close it behind me to maintain a neat and tidy look. The cats have learned to go up and over or follow close at my heels. The gate isn’t fancy, but I’m always pleased to approach it, depress the latch, and enter our backyard haven.

(View looking out of the backyard, over the gate, when the red rose is in bloom.)

2 Comments:

Blogger K said...

So pretty! Gate is one of my favorite words because it conjures an image just like this one.

1:03 PM  
Blogger David (Snappy) said...

nice gate,love your pics!

4:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home