Friday, May 26, 2006

My Favorite Spot, May 26th

I feel a little sorry for the corner bed. Nowhere else have I moved so many plants in and out. I’ve planted a stella d’oro daylily, clematis, hyacinths, lilies, larkspur, Russian sage, limerock ruby coreopsis, snapdragons, and cranesbill geranium. I’ve removed a coreopsis, the clematis, brunnera, echinacea, and more mint than you could shake a stick at. (The damn limerock ruby coreopsis was removed when it died.) All of this activity has taken place in about 5 square feet of soil.

The bed has yet to come into its summer glory, but the Johnson’s Blue geranium is presently blooming. Some gardeners complain about the geranium’s sprawling habit, but I like the way the flowers weave themselves into neighboring foliage. The geranium came from the crowded sun bed and replaced the crispy brunnera. (I moved the brunnera to a shady location.) I think I’m getting close to achieving the right mix and number of plants in this area, but it will probably take a season for me to finalize the plan. Presently, it is one of my favorite areas to visit on a hot day. The cool greens and blue take the edge of the muggy, late May heat.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

No fair.

MY Johnson's Blue isn't blooming.

12:08 PM  
Blogger SmilingJudy said...

The limerock ruby coreposis I planted last year died also. Maybe it's not us. I hate falling in love with a high-maintenance plant.

12:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home