Monday, March 20, 2006

Seedlings in Danger

My winter sown containers have been segregated. Those with sprouts now sit along the railing and those without surround the ghetto cold frame. This allows me to keep track of how many containers have germinated. The segregation will come in handy tonight, when I move the twenty or so growing containers into the garage to weather the coming storm.

After a few days of very spring-like weather, winter had returned. We will have snow tonight and tomorrow. The nighttime temperatures will dip below freezing every night this week. Tuesday night will only be a chilly 18 degrees! I will not have my seedlings frozen into brown mush a second time. The garage should stay at or above freezing.

I agonized over the decision to move the seedlings into the garage. I have so thoroughly bought into the premise of winter sowing and the hardy seedlings it is supposed to produce that I am loathe to let doubt sway me. However, my faith was seriously shaken by my early lupine’s death. I am also reluctant to spend my few precious minutes at home doing something onerous like carrying containers around the house. (Between two jobs and rehearsals, I am only home and awake for about 2 hours a day. I spend most of that time feeding, bathing, and dressing myself. The remaining minutes are devoted to tidying the house.) Thankfully, Mike has agreed to help me move the seedlings to safety.

Hopefully, the move saves, not kills the sprouts. I’m keeping my fingers crossed that mission Save Our Seedlings is a success.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jennifer said...

Good luck! I'm glad I didn't decide to plant my lettuce extra early this year. :)

1:32 PM  
Blogger kerry said...

We are bracing for the same storm. I am about 30 minutes south of you and not looking forward to driving in to work in the morning. I've decided to leave my flats in the cold frame. I believe most of what has sprouted should be fine, it lasted through the last bitterly cold snap, hopefully it will make it through this one.

7:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home