Thursday, March 09, 2006

Lengthening of the Day

One of my greatest joys in the summer is going straight from work to the garden. I arrive home, shed my business clothes, don my grubbies, and head out the door. Behind me, I hear calls of “What’s for dinner?” to which I reply “Grill me a hotdog!” I have no time for cooking and even less for eating. Daylight’s a-wasting!

Daylight is key to evening gardening. In the winter, the darkness is as much as an obstacle as the cold. As spring approaches, though, the days are slowly lengthening. Today, sunset is at 6:39 p.m. and civil twilight (during which enough light remains to carry on most outdoor activities) ends at 7:06. I could be getting in an hour of gardening each evening!

Alas, I’m still confined to weekend warrior sessions because I’m in rehearsals for Fiddler on the Roof most evenings. As I drive to the theater, I covetously watch the sunlight fade away. As much as I enjoy performing, I’ll be thrilled when we open and my weeknights are mostly free again. On March 27th, I’ve got a date with the dirt. Sunset will be at 6:57 and twilight lasts until 7:24!

Check your sunset and twilight times here.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was just thinking this the other day. Of course, today my yard is so soggy, I can't even wander around and see what's coming up.

I especially love deep, deep summer when I can eat dinner, clean up, go for a walk and STILL have time to putter in the garden. Or just spend the whole time outside, which I've been known to do.

P.S. I could walk to that theater. :)

2:29 PM  
Blogger Jenn said...

Fiddler! Oh how fun!

7:14 AM  
Blogger Susan Harris said...

VERY interesting. I'd never seen the notion of civil twilight, but I recognize what it is and love it as much as you do.
Amy's comment reminds me of my visit one July to the northern coast of Scotland - truly the land of the midnight sun, where the evenings and nights are so light and so wonderful it's hard to make yourself go to bed.

5:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home