Sunday, February 19, 2006

Finished Winter-Sowing Perennials

I've finished winter-sowing my perennials. That is, I've sown some of every variety I've purchased, but not every seed. (The Goat's Beard seed packet alone contains 600 seeds!) I see how buying seed can become addicting. The pictures on the front of the packets are so promising and the price point is so low.

As of today, I have 70 containers of winter-sown seed on the back deck. My goal this year is to sow every seed from my packets (yes, all 600 Goat's Beard), so I will be putting out more jugs. However, I'm a bit bottlenecked by a lack of containers. I'm still persuading Mike to drink milk and downing diet soda myself. My coworkers are still bringing me bottles and jugs. I've also started hitting up the convenience store in my (work) building for jugs and scrounging through the leftovers of our catered events for containers. Mike discovered that it is illegal (city code) for me to dig through the neighbors' recycle bins. I'm trying to be a law-abiding citizen, but the milk jugs on the corner are calling my name...

The following is the list of my 2006 winter-sown perennials. I've grouped them by distributor/grower so that I can monitor germination trends and avoid the dud brands in future years.

Swallowtail Seeds
Goat's Beard (Aruncus dioicus)
Firefly Coral Bells (Heuchera sanguinea Splendens)
Dragonfly Hybrids Columbine (Aquilegia x hybrida)
Madonna Snowdrop Anemone (Anemone sylvestris)
Rose Beauty Grapeleaf Anemone (Anemone tomentosa)
Cerise Queen Yarrow (Achillea millefolium)
Blue-Eyed Grass (Sisyrinchium angustifolium)
Siberian Wallflower (Erysimum x allionii)
Vintage Burgundy Stock (Matthiola incana)
White Sweet Violet (Viola odorata)
Band of Nobles Mixed Lupine (Lupinus hybrid)
Select Blue Catnip (Nepeta x faassenii)

Pase Greenhouses
Ajuga reptans
Sweet Woodruff (Galium odoratum)
Wintergreen Very Berry (Gaultheria procumbens)

Ferry Morse
Forget-Me-Not Blue Bird
Dame's Rocket
Johnny Jump Up Helen Mount (Viola)

Burpee
Hollyhock Fordhook Giants Mix
Lupine Russell Hybrids Mix
Catnip (Nepeta cataria)
Delphinium Connecticut Yankee
Butterfly Weed (Asclepias tuberosa)

Park's Seed
Strawberry Foxglove (Digitalis x mertonensis)
Hardy Iceplant (Delosperma cooperi)
Lantern Plant (Physalis francheti)
Lavender Lady (Lavandula angustifolia)
Siberan Blues Garden Pinks (Dianthus amurensis Siberian Blues)
Astilbe x arendsii Mix
Evening Primrose (Oenothera pallida Innocence)
Cyclamen Lily Pad Pink (Cyclamen coum)

Plantation Products (bought these at Big Lots, summer 2005)
Sweet William Red (Dianthus barbatus)
Candytuft (Iberis sempervirens)
Bellflower Blue (Campanula carpatica)
Sheep's Bit Blue Light (Jasione)
Snow-in-Summer (Cerastium tomentosum)
English Daisy (Bellis perennis)

Garden Place
Tritoma Red Hot Poker Mix

From my own garden
Centaurea montana

From Tim (these are actually shrubs and a tree, not perennials)
Spicebush (Lindera benzoin)
Bladdernut (Staphylea trifolia)
Yellowwood (Cladrastis kentuckea)

In two weeks, no matter if all the perennials are sown, I begin sowing annuals. I have at least 20 packets of annual seed already, but, knowing my impulse-buying ways, I'll wait until they are all sown to publish a list. I have started collecting seed the way I collect cats.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow- I can't wait to see how the garden develops throughout the year. I'm sure it will be beautiful!

9:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

dude...send me your address because I got you covered....providing I don't go into labor before I get you a package together....do you mind stinky packages? we currently go through a gallon of milk every two days

11:09 AM  
Blogger Sylvana said...

What will you do with all the extra plants?

1:27 PM  
Blogger Kasmira said...

Brit - I can't imagine that the postage would be worth mailing me jugs! Don't worry, if I get too short on containers I'll just go "shopping" on trash night. :)

Sylvana - I plan on sharing plants with the people that got me started gardening last year - Tim, Patrick, Margie, Mary. I'd like to share extras with any local readers. (There are two that I promised gladiola bulbs to last summer.) I have some friends at work who need help getting their gardens started. If I STILL have extra, I'll save them for next year's CVG sale and sell them there.

1:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pretty cool- that's a lot of containers you got going. I don't have nearly as many.

I guess I should get out there and buy some soda.

:0)

7:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow. You have so much more going than I do! This is my first year, so I'm just doing annuals, herbs and some veggies. I wanted to see how badly I screwed it up before investing in some good seed for perennials! :)

5:40 AM  
Blogger kerry said...

WOW you will be busy here in a couple of months. I did 3 trays of winter sowing and am going to be pressed to find time and containers for those. I like to grow extras as trade fodder myself though.

4:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i had alot of containers too, saved lots of milk cartons, salad take out containers, plastic egg cartons, but finally gave in and got some 70 cell greenhouse kits with domes from canadian tire for $5 each.It was worth it! im saving them for next year, and you can stack them.

8:37 PM  
Anonymous Liz said...

Technically speaking, while it may be "illegal' for you to remove containers from your neighbors' bins... it's perfectly legal for you to get permission from said neighbors to remove the items.

12:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home