Sunday, February 26, 2006

The Yard Kicked My Butt

If you read Wawa's World, you may have gathered that I have a second job as an aerobics instructor. I teach classes three times a week and work out on my own twice a week. I consider myself to be in above average shape. This morning, though, after spending a few hours in the yard yesterday, I'm terribly sore. I limped down the stairs like an old lady, with a crick in my neck, tight shoulders, and an aching ass.

My discomfort began early in yesterday's gardening session. Walking in our uneven backyard, my right hip began to twinge almost immediately. Soon after, my back began aching from the lifting and reaching and crawling. Fatigue set in and I was finding very little joy in the mild weather and clear skies. I had planned on building an obelisk from tree trimmings, but finally gave up on yard work for the day. I came inside, took a hot bath, and then napped till dinner time.

I obviously need to undergo some sort of training regime to prepare me for the season. Maybe some squats, weight training, and stretching? Does anyone else experience this body shock after a long winter's rest? Do you physically prepare yourself for the gardening season or just accept that it's gonna hurt? Tell me that I'm not alone!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

scott reminded me today that every spring without fail I end up throwing my back out because I get overly ambitious and begin hauling rocks and soil around and up and down stairs...not to mention babies...I'm trying to remember that this year...

10:51 PM  
Blogger Nickie said...

I cant say I ever hurt from garden work....housework on the other hand....

8:33 AM  
Blogger OldRoses said...

Like you, I consider myself in excellent physical shape. I've been working out regularly almost my entire adult life. Yet every spring without fail, I end up incredibly sore. I think there are secret gardening muscles that science knows nothing about. It's the only explanation I can come up with.

12:41 AM  
Blogger Mom&stepmom said...

wow...and I just thought it was because i am in my 50's! Every year i go wild with 6 huge flower beds...weeding. and I can hardly walk. I am not in great shape, but am an avid skier...skiing about 40-50 days a winter...sooooo yup my butt really hurts! thanks for the cheer up!!!

3:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Came by when I did a google search for chinese lanterns. Your garden pic came up. It's pretty.
That soreness happens to me too. When the weather's good I just spend so much time out there all at once that I overdo it. I mean, think about it, if you go to the gym it's for like for an hour or two. The garden? You can be out there all day. :0)
floresenmijardin@yahoo.com
Hannah

8:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home