Thursday, March 16, 2006

March Green

Happy St. Patrick’s Day. After the earlier disaster, I’ve been faithfully searching for a bit o’ green in my wintersown containers. I was delighted to find a number of new perennial sprouts and even a few annuals:

Lavender
Johnny Jump Up
Dame’s Rocket
Yarrow (Cerise Queen)
Hollyhock
Sheep’s Bit
English Daisy (yes, some survived the February Deep Freeze!)
Perennial Candytuft
Lupine (Band of Noble)
Dianthus (Siberian Blues)
Sweet Alyssum
Zinnia (Lilliput)
Gazania

Additionally, I have six mystery containers of seedlings. Evidently, a smooth plastic soda bottle doesn't provide an ideal marking surface for a Sharpie pen. The writing has completely disappeared. Judging from the seeds, I suspect that two of the containers are either catnip or catmint. (The seeds are oblong and black with white tips.) The other four containers are enigmas. After the sprouts have grown a few true leaves, I hope to match them to the seedlings in a labeled container. Next time, I’m labeling craft sticks and inserting them INSIDE the containers.

They may not be four leaf clovers, but the sight of wee green seedlings thrills me all the same. I think I’ll celebrate with a green beer!

2 Comments:

Blogger Jenn said...

Yay! for a large success percentage.

Good for you!

8:18 AM  
Blogger Petunia's Gardener said...

Greetings from Wa. I'm glad to know I'm not the only mystery seed grower! Mine came from little envelopes & baggies I collected years ago when I was regularly gardening. They are not fresh so no surprise they haven't appeared yet. The 14 year old basil did however! I searched on cold frames and found your blog.

10:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home