Thursday, February 16, 2006

North Corner Plan

Thank you for your suggestions on what to do with the clothesline pole in the North Corner. Everyone’s input was so good that I plan on incorporating almost ALL of your ideas.

I will continue forward with the original plan of growing a vine teepee around the pole and topping it with a birdhouse. Nightmare on Elm Street mentioned honeysuckle as a possible vine candidate, and that reminded me that I had already found a honeysuckle that blooms in part shade (Lonicera x heckrottii). I planned on buying two for the arbor that will frame the front walk. Now, I’ll just increase my order and plant one or two at the base of the pole too. Although clematis are lovely (as suggested by Deb), I haven’t had enough success with the seven plants I currently have (3 jackmanii, 2 autumn, 1 pink (Nelly Moser?), and 1 unknown fuchsia variety) to be willing to add more.

I loved Garden Obsession’s idea to plant shrubs around the pole. Shrubs simply hadn’t occurred to me, but they make great sense. Shrubbery will help tie the pole in with the hedge and the miscellaneous shrubs/trees (not pictured) planted along the fence line. I was worried that the pole would stick out like a sore thumb, but flanking it with an azalea (yellow circle) and hydrangeas (blue circles) will create a corner planting. Adding shrubs also gives me a place to plant the White Lights azalea I just ordered from Bluestone. The hydrangeas will be of whatever variety I find at Funke’s summer 50% off sale.

I had planned on placing a birdbath behind the stump, but I also liked Garden Obesession’s suggestion of adding a birdbath near the pole to create a small bird sanctuary. (There is a birdfeeder hanging from a nearby sweet gum limb.) I’ll think on it.

Finally, you’ll notice some other additions to the plan. The ROS (Rose of Sharon) is an existing planting, but I left it off the original diagram. It is the source of my cuttings. I plan on adding a fragrant currant (another yellow circle), a small patio, and a path. I’ll fill out the rest of the area with the many shade plants I have started from seed this winter and hostas from the Civic Garden Center’s annual sale.

I have lots of grass/violets/indian strawberry/henbit to kill before implementing my plan. You’ll never guess how I intend to dispose of it (no Round-Up or newspapers involved). Stay tuned!

2 Comments:

Blogger amanda said...

I'm so flattered that you liked my suggestion! Please keep us posted as to how it goes!

4:36 PM  
Blogger OldRoses said...

I can't wait to hear how you plan on getting rid of violets. I have found them to be virtually indestructible.

11:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home