Saturday, January 28, 2006

We Have Lupine!

I sowed these Russell Hybrid Lupine on 1/7/06. Three weeks later, I have sprouts. Like Bellis perennis, lupines do best in cool conditions.

These are last year's seeds. I wintersowed the first half of the packet last winter. In March, after the seedlings had a few true leaves, I transplanted them into my sun bed. None of them made it through the summer. They fried in the relentless sun and heat. While lupines grow beautifully in my native Pacific Northwest, southern Ohio is a bit too warm and humid for them. I'll be planting this year's lupine seedlings out in part shade and hoping for the best.

5 Comments:

Blogger Jenn said...

We have a patch of 'wild' lupines on the freeway near my home. They are sited on a northfacing slope, and seem to do very well.

So yes, I think you will find a spot for them with a little tinkering.
(I'm in Michigan, outskirts of the Detroit metro area - just far enough out to be zone five instead of zone six.)

11:39 AM  
Blogger OldRoses said...

I dunno. It gets plenty hot here in NJ in the summer and my lupines were gorgeous. I'm planting more this year.

9:13 PM  
Blogger Kasmira said...

I'm heartened to hear that others with warm, muggy summers are having success! Oldroses, do you know what variety you have? I've also wintersown Band of Nobles this year. I'm hoping that between the two different hybrids I'll find something that will do well! I suppose the trick is getting them established...

5:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I could never get them to grow by seeds in Northern Ohio...but a friend gave me two mature plants from her garden and they are growing well. Last year, one had over twenty spikes...very pretty

4:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

i know this is from year's ago, but i just came across it. i was told by a reliable garden center that lupines don't do well here b/c of the clay soil & heat. beginning to wonder that about tall phlox! i've lost so many!

4:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home