Wednesday, January 18, 2006

New Year, New Garden Journal

I’ve never been one to keep a diary (my unedited self embarrasses even me), but I made faithful entries in my garden journal last season. I eagerly filled in the “What’s Blooming?” section each week, feeling a sense of satisfaction as the list lengthened due to the warming weather and the many plants I purchased. I kept a daily log of my gardening activities. I paperclipped plant tags to the blank winter section to remind me of bloom appearance and plant requirements. I tucked receipts, guaranties, and general planting instructions between the pages as well. Although the spiral binding was accommodating, I overstuffed the journal until the cover simply could not lay flat. I was relieved to put aside the 2005 journal as we rang in the new year.

For 2006, I bought a 3-ring, binder-style, garden journal from Amazon. I was a little disappointed when it arrived – I could have assembled something very similar with my own binder, dividers, and sheet protectors. (Lesson learned for next year!) I do like the author’s idea of devoting an entire page to each plant, complete with photo, history, and performance notes. For subjects not covered by the ready-made pages, I purchased card stock, punched three holes along the margin, and created my own page. I've been luxuriating in all the free space and opportunities to glue pictures from catalogs, magazines, and calendars on the lovely, blank sheets. I’m both dreading and eagerly anticipating the pages becoming cramped and densely covered in notes. While a fresh slate is a beautiful thing, I also enjoy curling up with a filled journal and reliving the past summer as snow swirls past the windows.

5 Comments:

Blogger Ben Biddle said...

I've wanted to do something similar but find myself unmotivated. Do you actually look back over past years and and compare?

8:13 AM  
Blogger Nystral Djo said...

Hey. I was just looking at the SAME PHLOX in the Van Dyck's catalog last night. Have you had luck ordering from them (or other companies) in the past?

My list of plants to order is growing... Check it out:
http://www.raisetheranch.com/blog.html#update011206

Leah

9:36 AM  
Blogger Kasmira said...

Leah - this is my second order with Van Dyck's. I ordered bulbs in the fall. So far, I have nothing to report on those because it is too early in the season. I also ordered bare-root oriental poppies (with the bulbs) and they sprouted leaves only a few weeks later. The poppies are still green now, in Jan.

Ben - this is only my second season of gardening, so this will be my first year to compare.

9:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kashmira,

I love the picture of your over stuffed garden journal from last year, it is great to have it to thumb through when the weather is nasty. As a nursery manager, I have to say " Yeah! Keep Your Reciepts" Use them if you need to to return plants that don't make it, but it is much easier to give credit for a deceased plant if the customer has a receipt. They are also a good way to keep track of where you have bulbs planted, long after the foilage and bloom are gone.

Tami

8:49 PM  
Blogger OldRoses said...

My blog is my garden journal. My arthritic hands make writing painful but I can still type!

11:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home