Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Sunset Bed

Mrs. Greenthumbs claims that all daylilies are some shade of orange. My Stella D’Oro lilies do have a hint of orange to them. I have yet to see if the Lavender Dolls are truly lavender. My Little Joys, though, don’t seem a bit orange. They bloomed this week to reveal a lovely, deep wine color.

The Little Joys are a nice complement to the blanket flowers. I may have to rename the "back bed” the “sunset bed” because I seem to be cultivating shades of yellow, red and orange. Now I just have to wait to see what color the lilies will be. I have a feeling they will upset the color scheme with shades of pink and purple. At least I’ll have the sunset effect for a few weeks each summer, after the columbine bloom and before the lilies emerge.

5 Comments:

Blogger K said...

Beautiful! My mother-in-law has a whole row of daylilies in all different colors. I think she has a wine-colored one like yours, but it wasn't blooming at the moment. My favorites of hers are the salmon pink ones.

7:48 AM  
Blogger Greg said...

Those are nice. We got a few days of rain and my weeds are coming in beautifully right now.

1:17 PM  
Blogger OldRoses said...

I have a whole bed that is just yellow and orange flowers. I never thought to call it the sunset garden!

10:15 PM  
Blogger Scott in Washington said...

Gosh those are nice. All your hard work is paying off.

7:19 PM  
Blogger Dallas said...

I had always thought that dayliliies were yellow, and lilies could be all sorts of colors. Thanks for sharing your photos - the flowers are beutiful.

12:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home