Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Glorious Morning

I’ve discovered why Morning Glory is named so.

The morning glory of my youth was an invasive pest with white flowers. It hardly seemed glorious and it bloomed all day long. I was puzzled by its moniker. Now that I am GardenWeb edjamacated, I know that this was actually the noxious weed, bindweed.

Garden morning glory is also a twining vine, but it comes in lovely colors and blooms, drumroll please, in the morning. Last week, I arrived home from work to find my first vine had begun blooming. Sadly the violet flower was shriveled. I was encouraged by a second bud and planned on seeing the bloom the next day. Again, I arrived home at 6 p.m. to a shriveled flower. This continued until Saturday morning, when I finally got to view my first bloom in all its glory.

7 Comments:

Blogger Becky said...

Wow that's beautiful! A great picture too. Kind of hypnotic, or that could be the fact that I had 5 hours of sleep last night.

10:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful. I keep attacking the "morning glory" in my back yard, but I now know it's bindweed. If it looked like that, I'd be encouraging it to grow and spread!

9:31 PM  
Blogger Anne said...

Ooo, super pretty! Such a great photo.

8:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh bind weed, how well I know your face *sigh*

5:03 PM  
Blogger OldRoses said...

That looks like a "Grandpa Ott" morning glory. I grow several different varieties of morning glories. If you go to the January archives of my blog, you can see photos of some of them. Unfortunately, Blogger wouldn't let me post a picture of my "Grandpa Ott" morning glories.

Like you, I love morning glories, but be careful. They can become very invasive. They become real pests, like weeds.

I've been really enjoying your blog. I hope you don't mind, but I took the liberty of writing a mini-review and linking you on my blog.

11:14 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

12:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

realy nice flower
it crossed my eye almost immeadiatly
seductive hypnotic !

12:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home