Thursday, April 28, 2005

Champion of the Yard

I am the champion, my friends.
'Though the yews kept on fighting, 'til the end.


I have conquered the yews. I began removing yew #3 on Monday, and finished the job early yesterday evening. I then took a look at the remaining yew (to the right), judged that I still had a few hours of daylight left, and ripped that sucker out of the ground in record time. Although it looks like the smallest of the bushes, it possessed the most heinous roots of the bunch. It had two lateral roots, about 8 inches under the ground, that were as thick as my bulging upper arm. I had to call in the big guns (Mike) for one of them.

As I was snapping the last little root that held the plant in the ground, one of my neighbors walked by with his dog. He saw me grunting and pushing and swearing and, instead of offering to help, commented that I was the neighborhood’s “Martha Stewart.” I don't see the resemblance, but perhaps she’s a bit leaner and meaner now that she’s spent some time in the big house.

After wrestling with the yews, I still had the energy to remove the last of the henbit from the right bed and do some planting in the left bed. I relocated the gladiolas from between yews #3 and #4 to a nice spot underneath a window. I planted my still very small butterfly bush in the center of the right bed. (It is supposed to grow to 5 feet tall and wide.)

My perennial seedlings aren’t quite ready to go in the ground, but I’ve decided that the ground isn’t ready for them either. During the yew removal, I grew to hate the clay, gummy soil. Despite the yews' vigor, the ground is rather inhospitable to plant life. I am going to amend the soil to give my seedlings a better start. I still have to research what exactly I should mix into the clay to get good garden soil.

We’re in for a long bout of rain, until Sunday. I feel like I deserve a break now that I have demonstrated, without a doubt, that I am the champion of the yard.

14 Comments:

Blogger Gary said...

Politely spoken:

"That's a lovely axe."

7:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i like jack pine mulch as a general clay ammendment. it takes and releases moisture well. it expands and contracts with the freeze/thaw also. that helps to keep the soil loose the biggest problem with herbacios perinials is o2 in clay.

if you raise the bed alot of water will run off. this will give you control of the h2o and thus contol of the o2.

then amending the soil in the specific vacinity of the plant for the plant is the best way to go. take into account the mature size of the plant. Dont need to feed the weeds...saves $ too.

8:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

do you mind if I axe you a question?

9:03 AM  
Blogger Scott in Washington said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

9:35 AM  
Blogger Scott in Washington said...

We knew yew could do it. Speaking of yew, did you get a new handle for the pickaxe yet?

I thought about your post about rushing through dinner so you could go play in the yard last night as we played in ours. I got home from work and Brit said, "hurry up and eat so we can go outside and play."

I said, "I'm not hungry anyway!"

"Lets go then!"

And so, we did.

9:36 AM  
Blogger Scott in Washington said...

Woah down there blogger...

It just posted the same comment three times.

9:37 AM  
Blogger Kasmira said...

What a punny crew!

10:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So glad you finally got that camera. Love the axe photo! :)

12:28 PM  
Blogger Deb said...

OMG i love that pic of you and the conquered yew!

re: your soil... compost compost compost! check with your local waste management (aka the dump)as some give free compost at certain times of the year (or really cheap). also you can get your own compost bins and rain barrels there at about half the cost of retail!

keep up the good work!

1:29 PM  
Blogger Kasmira said...

Scott - I did buy a replacement handle for the pick-ax, but have not put it together with the head yet.

Deb - I called the city today, and although they collect yard waste and (I assume) compost it, they don't sell or give away the compost. I called a greenhouse and 30lb bags of humus are only $2.99. I'll buy a few of those to use until my compost pile has finished cooking.

1:39 PM  
Blogger K said...

That is a hilarious photo. Martha Stewart's got nothing on you ... thank goodness.

2:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

adding humus to compost adds alot of bacteria wich will speed er up and get er done. a couple dozen red worms will help too. crawlers dont do much bit i put some in mine so there there if i ever get to go fishing again in my life.

5:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You go girl! Way to tackle those roots. I'm looking forward to watching your garden grow!

10:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

9:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home