Thursday, April 14, 2005

Sparkly Ceiling

My grandma’s dining room ceiling had glitter in it. I was entranced with it. I’d stare up at the ceiling and move my head from side to side to see the light winking off the tiny mirrors. I half believed that the glitter was actually diamond dust. The ceiling made that room regal.

Today I read a blog post (I’ve already forgotten where) bemoaning sparkly popcorn ceilings. Recalling how my grandmother’s ceiling enchanted me, I did a google search. Apparently this type of ceiling is a textured, spray-on application. It sounds as if there are two sizes of texture: cottage cheese and popcorn. Just the words “cottage cheese ceiling” sicken me. I picture a quivering, cellulite ceiling. “Popcorn ceiling” sounds delicious, but must be quite unsightly with the shadows cast by the kernels. I don’t recall any lumps at all, but my grandmother must have had the cottage cheese type.

Despite its glittery magic, it looks as if the textured ceiling is history. I haven’t got it in my house, but those that do try to remove it. Removal, though, can be hazardous because many of these ceilings contain nasty asbestos. My vote is for letting it stay and allowing it to captivate future generations of grandchildren. Just tell anyone that derides its lumpy texture that the ceiling is coated in diamond dust.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think people's dislike of popcorn ceilings has to do with if it is appropriate to their house. The popcorn ceilings in my bungalow look hideaous..it just doesn't fit. However, those same ceilings in my parent's ranch are great.

Lol....I also used to lay on the (shag carpeting) floor as a little girl and look up at the sparkles in my parent's ceiling.

8:35 AM  
Blogger K said...

I don't know if I've ever seen a sparkly ceiling. We had popcorn ceiling in our previous house (a 1967 ranch), and it looked fine there. But I'm very glad it's not in our current house.

8:01 AM  
Blogger Scott in Washington said...

Can you get your ceiling done in guacamole? I think popcorn and cottage cheese both gave way to orange peel.

2:42 PM  
Blogger Adi said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

8:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home