Monday, April 04, 2005

Free Trees!

You may have noticed that I like free things: free newsletters, free mulch, and, now, free trees! (Free campgrounds are not so good.)

On Friday, our county library branches were giving away Austrian Pine seedlings. These trees are fast growing, tolerate almost any conditions, and provide a visual screen when young. I picked mine up on Friday afternoon and transported it home on the bus. (It looked so precious poking out of my purse.) Although it was raining and Mike was waiting to take me to dinner and a movie, I was a responsible mommy and planted my tree baby in the backyard as soon as I got home. Now we just have to be sure not to mow it, because it is only twelve inches high. Grow, tree, grow!

Also on Friday, I joined the National Arbor Day Foundation for $10. I didn’t do it out of the goodness of my heart. I joined for the ten free trees! After entering your zip code, you can choose from among a list of tree packages. I chose the ten flowering trees. I realize that the trees will be seedlings and I probably will never see them bloom, but at $1/tree they were almost free! And the shipping was totally free!

The Austrian Pine giveaway is over, but I thought I would share the National Arbor Day Foundation membership incentive. It sounds like many of my fellow housebloggers will be in their homes long enough to see their almost-free trees grow up.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very cool- I am going to have to check that out. I have an idea of what trees I'd like, so I'll see what they have to offer. Thanks for the tip!

9:50 PM  
Blogger Adi said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

8:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home