Monday, July 23, 2007

Candy Cane Border

At my open garden, as I described the concept of the candycane border to my guests (flowers in shades of red, white, and pink), I was surprised at how enthralled they were with the concept. Unfortunately, my guests had to use their imaginations to picture the flowers, because the border was between blooms. The moss phlox, daffodils, sweet William, peonies, and roses were spent. The hibiscus and lilies held promising buds, but were weeks from opening. More than one guest expressed a desire to return when the border was in its second bloom. I am unable (unwilling?) to host another event this year, but I’ll share photos here.


I’m fairly pleased with the late summer effect. The border color scheme sounds simple, but it can be difficult to blend the right red and pink tones together. While the hibiscus and stargazer lilies have purple undertones, the cardinal lobelia almost slides into the orange range and the sweet william blossoms varied from red-black to red-orange. Who knows what color the “red” hydrangea (hornli) blooms are because the plant hasn’t flowered (or grown much) in three years. White is the only “easy” color in the border.

I continue to plot and plan to improve the border and, in the meantime, I’m enjoying the bits of it that I think I’ve finally got right.

Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful border. I love lilies and must get some things planted around my lilies to hide the foliage after they bloom as you do. I would have thought my Pa climate zone would be the same as yours but I am a week or so behind you with my Stargazer Lilies. How full and lush they are !! Just wonderful.....

Rosie www.rosiessewingroom.com/blog

7:39 AM  
Blogger Laurie and Chris said...

Your border looks great. I like the colors.

4:31 PM  
Blogger kate said...

I like the way the border looks ... I know what you mean about working with reds.

A candy cane border is a cool idea.

I hope the tour went well.

9:06 AM  
Blogger LostRoses said...

I have nothing but admiration for someone who can plan a border by color, whether they're in bloom or not! Nice execution, Kasmira.

8:57 PM  
Blogger Hanna said...

I like the idea but I would never be able to be organized enough to pull it off. Cool that you ca, though. :)

Hey, I wanted to let you know I had tagged you for a meme if you would like to participate. Details can be found here:
http://www.thisgardenisillegal.com/2007/07/meme-seven-random-garden-facts.html

10:10 PM  
Blogger ShellyH said...

What a fabulous border! I try to do one in a color scheme every year with purples and whites.

Shelly

11:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the border and your blog. (Word of caution: pollen from lilies is deadly toxic to cats.)

5:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home