Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Planting Vacation

Yesterday, I took a vacation day from work because I desperately needed to put some plants in the ground. The dwindling daylight, weather, and rehearsals (Mrs. Bob) have kept me out of the garden. On Monday, none of those things were limiting factors. I planted:

  • 3 lavender
  • 2 roses
  • 6 dianthus
  • 4 black-eyed susans
  • 3 monarda
  • 9 sundrops
  • 10 wallflowers
  • 4 daylilies
  • 3 ladies mantle
  • 6 spider lily
  • 3 forget-me-not
  • 2 honeysuckle

The grand total is 55 plants. Sticking 55 plants in a tilled garden plot is not a great chore. However, when 49 of them are planted in new, unworked beds composed of mostly clay, it can take you a full eight hours. By 4 o’clock, I was pooped and the mosquitoes were ready for dinner. I feel a little bit lazy for knocking off with three hours of daylight left, but I was beginning to hate digging holes.

I still have hundreds of bulbs to plant and dozens of perennials to both plant and transplant. The bulbs can wait until November, but I’ve got to get the perennials in the ground in the next two weeks. With only an hour of daylight each evening and weekend commitments, it will be tight. I haven’t felt this overwhelmed since spring! Right now, I’m sort of looking forward to winter so that I can have a break. I need a non-planting vacation.

3 Comments:

Blogger Renee Beaulieu said...

Yowza! I would have been permanently bent in half planting that many perennials in new beds in one day. Do you add compost or manure or anything else when you plant in clay soil? We just moved to Cincinnati from Connecticut, so I'm used to rocks (lots of rocks) but not clay. Lavender supposedly doesn't like clay, but I've seen some lovely, mature plants on my walks, so I'm guessing the plants don't read the gardening books ;-) Or do you have a secret for them?

7:40 AM  
Blogger Kasmira said...

Renee, I detailed my patented technique last October (Still Hoeing). Basically, I mix the clay up with manure and peat moss by chopping it with a hoe in my wheelbarrow or garden cart. Yes, the neighbors look at me like I'm crazy. Who uses a hoe anymore? Some people criticize my technique as "bathtubbing," but I've had none of the problems that supposedly come from that. My beds end up like swiss cheese. The clay is the cheese and the amended soil is the holes.
I've read that lavender needs good drainage. I assume it will tolerate clay, as long as it drains well. I'm crossing my fingers that the amendments and my siting have done the trick!
I'm glad to find your blog. I've bookmarked it and I'll check back with you!

10:51 AM  
Blogger Maggie said...

Kasmira, What a busy day! Congrats on getting that many plants in the ground! I want to come see you in the play! I just checked out the website for Mrs. Bob.
~Maggie

11:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home