Friday, September 15, 2006

Hillside Garden in Mt. Adams

After a year of walking through Friendship Park twice a week at lunch, I was ready for a change. I was also tired of paying $2 to park at Sawyer Point on Tuesdays (the only day I drove to work). A few weeks ago, I left home early and figured out how to drive to the free, on-street parking at Mt. Adams. Serendipitously, I also discovered a new place to walk at lunch.

From work, a short (5 minute?) walk takes me over I-71 and into the Mt. Adams district. There, houses, apartments, and condos jostle for space on the steep hillside. The incredible views of the city and river make it worth living three feet from your neighbor. Many of the houses are historic. The varying architectural styles on just one street are enough to slow me from my brisk walk. I’ve seen everything from modern to Victorian to Moorish! Although most of the yards are small, some of them host stop-and-stare gardens. The limited space calls for carefully edited collections. For those with an aching for more acreage, enormous Eden Park borders the district.

I’m just beginning to explore the area in one-hour jaunts. I was amazed to find that I made it to the conservatory (in a very round-about manner) and back to work a single hour. I carry my camera with me to capture the inspiring views. Clicking on the Mt. Adams area photoset in the sidebar will take you to the ongoing collection of snapshots.

Today’s selection from Mt. Adams is a rather large garden. This hillside, next to the gardener’s hillside home, is overflowing with annuals and perennials. I spotted the elderly gardener on her balcony after I parked beneath her garden one morning. Unfortunately, I didn’t get to say more than “beautiful garden” before I hurried to work. I long to climb the hillside to see the plants that I can see only a hint of below. It also looks as if she is continuing to expand the garden to the south, to the right of the photo. While most of the hillside is a ruin of old foundations and weeds, her portion is a small Eden. Bravo! I applaud gardeners who extend their paradise to the street to delight passersby. It gives us a glimpse of what life might be like if everyone did the same.





I hope to bring you many more featured gardens from the Mt. Adams area in the future. If you live there, watch out for the crazy red-head with the camera. She just may be pressing her face against your garden gate to snap a photo for the garden blogging world

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

When I worked in Cincy (Milford) we held a large customer conference, complete with "fun activities" for the spouses of the mostly-male customers.

We were at Mt. Adams for lunch with the wives during day 3 when one of us complimented a woman in a row house on her beautiful front yard. She invited us--all 12 of us!--to come through her house and see the back.

Seriously, if you ever get a chance to angle for such an invite (or if they do garden tours there) TAKE IT. They have 10-12 foot tall stone or brick walls behind those things, and her courtyard garden there was stunning. That she felt it paled in comparison to the gardens of several of her neighbors just blows my mind!

7:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm originally from Milford, Ohio. My parents and siblings and other family are still there. I'm now in Virginia (well, have been for 32 years). I spent many good times at Mt. Adams and at Eden Park and in the conservatory. Your blog posting brought back lots of good memories!

Linda

12:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home