Friday, September 22, 2006

My Greatest Success

This season, buoyed by my successes last summer, I tried a lot of new things in the garden. I grew annuals, built a pond, and installed an arbor. However, I believe my greatest gardening success was my twiggy teepee. I built it in early March from trimmed holly branches. It looked like something out of the Blair Witch Project until July, when the sweet peas grew tall enough to at least cover the drunken legs. After the sweet peas petered out, the cardinal and black-eyed-susan vines continued to provide color and coverage. At the end of the season, the two sunflowers I planted to grow through the teepee’s framework continue to bloom and bloom and bloom. Below, I’ve presented the teepee’s seasonal progression.

March 13:



July 13:



July 27:



Sept 22:


I’m looking forward to enjoying it in a new location next year.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That really is pretty and a good example of how the garden changes throughout the spring/summer/early fall while still looking full all the time. Beautiful photos.

7:26 AM  
Blogger Ms. Conduct said...

Beautiful! You're such a gardener's gardener! I love seeing your pictures.

10:34 AM  
Blogger OldRoses said...

I'm so glad your tepee worked out for you. You're so brave siting in the front yard without knowing in advance how well it would turn out.

4:14 PM  
Blogger Carol Michel said...

That's neat!

7:22 PM  
Blogger Christa said...

Looks like a great success! I like your series of photos showing the progession of the flowers through the seasons. Very pretty.

5:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the tepee! There are so many vines I want to try but thought I didn't have the room in my postage stamp of a yard. I may just make myself a tepee this winter. By the way, you do know Friendship Park has two free parking lots, right?

6:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

12:11 AM  
Blogger Adi said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

8:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home