Thursday, May 18, 2006

Columbine from Seed

Growing perennials from seed is easy. Waiting for them to bloom is not. Last year, I was fortunate to see one of my butterfly weeds bloom from seed the first year. Perennials don’t usually flower until their second season.

Patience has its rewards, however. The columbine I sowed last winter began blooming in May. The plants seem to be less freely flowering than the blue columbine that Patrick gave me, but I appreciate the blooms even more because I grew these from seed myself!

5 Comments:

Blogger Nystral Djo said...

Beautiful columbine! That's my favorite perrennial as of late. The purple are my favorite.

8:09 AM  
Blogger Anne said...

Whoa, that is beautiful!!!

10:40 AM  
Blogger David (Snappy) said...

I want columbines so much.I have been looking for seeds of the original wild columbine with blue flowers.I have a foxglove growing a flower spike two years after i sowed seeds.There is not better feeling than seeing your seeds grow into gorgeous flowers!

2:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is a beauty! I love columbines.

9:09 PM  
Blogger TraceyF said...

Gorgeous columbine, I have NEVER been able to grow very much other than vegetables from seed. My husbands grandparents always do and let me grab a few seedlings. What a wonderful feeling though.

10:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home