Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Time for a Bigger Cage

The catmint has outgrown its protection. I caught Zoro topping the seedlings that had pressed themselves through the mesh. The crushed leaves betrayed the plants’ presence and I soon had a passel of cats milling around the box, searching for the narcotic.

I would be at a total loss, except for Andrea’s highlight of Peaceful Valley’s Plant Defender. I ordered 18 of them to use over the catmint edging my rose bed. I find it somewhat amusing that the Defender is described as a protection from “browsing birds, snails, slugs, raccoons, deer and rabbits,” but kitties aren’t mentioned! I’ll certainly write Peaceful Valley if they prove effective against cats.

4 Comments:

Blogger David (Snappy) said...

She is a spitting image of Cara.My cats have been using my borders as impromptu cat latrines!She does love that catmint.

11:36 AM  
Blogger K said...

What a pretty kitty!

9:08 AM  
Blogger Janet said...

How long will you have to leave the defenders on? Isn't it sort of defeating the purpose of growing a decorative plant if you have to cover them?

I know, I'm being difficult. Sorry. But I would just grow veronica or salvia and be able to relax.

2:14 PM  
Blogger Kasmira said...

I'll leave them on for the first growing season, until they are well-established enough that my cats don't pull them out of the soil, roots and all.

I'm using the bed they're in (rose bed) as a nursery bed this year, so the defenders are not nearly as ugly as the dozens of little black, plastic containers with seedlings!

Salvia or veronica is a good idea if my cats destroy the plants next year!



Kasmira

5:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home