Tuesday, July 05, 2005

The Front Bed - 4 Months Old

Perennial Passion started an interesting discussion of the sorts of garden pictures her readers like to see in a blog. I find nothing more frustrating than close-up after close-up of blooms, but no landscape context! Ironically, I’m guilty of exactly that. My excuse is that, while my individual blooms look good, the big picture is still rough around the edges. However, I was recently comparing some before and after shots and realized that my "after" is starting to look pretty good. I've decided to take the plunge and share.

Before I began, there were three yews to the left of the front door and one to the right (dead). After a Herculean struggle, I removed them. I moved a clematis and hosta to another location. I tried to relocate the gladiolas from the left edge of the bed to beneath the left window. Quite a few bulbs escaped me and taunt me to this day. After the destruction, I was left with a lovely mud pit.


To the right of the front door, beneath the branches of a holly tree, I planted a shade garden. The rhododendrons and hostas were existing. I installed the birdbath and a number of plants. Click on any of the “after” photos for a page identifying the plants.

Before

After

Before

After

To the left of the front door I planted a sun garden. It’s only a few feet from the shade, but it gets BLASTED with sun and heat. I’ve had to water often as the plants become established. (See the mud pit photo for the “before.”)


After (I need to take this photo with the sun shining on the bed.)

Before (The "before" was so ugly that this is the only other shot I have.)

After

If the perennial gardening adage is true (First year - sleep. Second year - creep. Third year - leap!), I am very pleased with the results I have achieved in the first four months.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the identifying photos! I know that I'm not doing any landscaping projects this year...but next year I may be picking your brain and revisiting this post for great ideas. Keep taking photos!

2:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have done a fantastic job! I love the identifying photos, too.

4:06 PM  
Blogger Diana LaMarre said...

Everything looks great! There is nothing like a "before" photo to show you how far you have progressed. I love Cape Cod houses and yours is just charming. I am so glad you decided to "take the plunge" and post some landscape shots!

5:50 PM  
Blogger OldRoses said...

I have "landscape" pictures, I just don't post them because my landscape isn't "landscaped". But like you, I love comparing the photos from prior years to the current year to give me a yardstick of how far so many plants have come and what worked and what didn't work.

8:17 PM  
Blogger Dianne said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

9:42 PM  
Blogger Dianne said...

You have made lovely plant choices. I think you are going to see them exploding unless you keep them small. I speak from experience. My butterfly bush is huge and I keep cutting it back. You should let it get a pretty decent size to get nice butterfly attracting blooms. I have one huge sage plant in a side garden too.
Could the yellow plant you can't identify be coreopsis?

9:44 PM  
Blogger Sylvana said...

Thanks for visting my blog and giving me that valuable advice.
I like before and after photos. They keep things in perspective. I can look at my garden right now and think about how far it still has to go, but when I look at before pictures I can feel good about how far it has come.

2:58 PM  
Blogger Sandy said...

I LOVE your house. It is beautiful!

3:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home