Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Cherokee Brave

I’ve got a nice shady corner of the yard that will bookend my new red/white/pink (candy cane) garden. This is where I plan to plant a pink dogwood. Two weeks ago, I headed to the closest, best (and, granted, most expensive nursery) to check out the dogwoods. Because it is summer and the trees are long past bloom, I expected to pay $40 – $50 for a tree.

The kind nursery staff directed me to the pink dogwoods, “Cherokee Brave.” The price: $125! I nearly fell over. I decided that I didn’t necessarily need a pink dogwood, so I moved to the white-flowering variety. They were $119.

Are these prices outrageous? This nursery’s stock is the best around and the trees are 7 – 8 feet tall. I assume that the prices reflect a slow growth rate and the many years it took to grow them.

I checked out the Arbor Day Foundation’s website. There, I could buy a 2 – 3 foot red or pink dogwood for $10.98. While the ADF’s price is more budget friendly, I know the tree won’t bloom any time soon and we don’t plan on living in the house long enough to see it flower. Call me selfish, but I don’t want to buy a flowering tree that only the people after us will enjoy.

According to my nursery’s staff, a sale of 20 – 30% off the entire stock should be coming along in the next few weeks. In the meantime, I will be visiting the other greenhouses in town to do a little price comparisons.

4 Comments:

Blogger K said...

Yikes!! That's one expensive tree. But you're right that there's no point planting a tree at all if you won't get to enjoy it.

Depending how long you plan to stay there, I probably just wouldn't buy a tree at all for this house. :)

1:51 PM  
Blogger SmilingJudy said...

Yes, that's a little pricey. Should be cheaper in the fall, which is a better time to plant anyway. My favorite (and most expensive) nursery around here usually does 50% off all trees starting in September. Got about an 8-ft dogwood for 50 bucks last year.

3:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds more like Cherokee BRUTAL! I think waiting for the sale will be worth it...especially since it isn't going to flower again until next spring

4:04 PM  
Blogger OldRoses said...

I've been fortunate and never had to plant trees. My houses have always come with enough of them. I had no idea trees were so expensive. Yikes!

9:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home