Sunday, March 13, 2005

Adios 1967 Tappan Gallery Range

Yesterday I went to Angert’s and bought a new refrigerator, and a stove too. Our fridge needs replacing, as it is slowly loosing cooling power. The new stove was a little harder to talk Mike in to.

Yes, our current stove works, but it has issues. First, it is MUSTARD YELLOW. Second, it is has coil burners, which I dislike. And, most damning of all, the oven does not keep a constant temperature. Sometimes it cooks hotter, sometimes cooler. While our dinners usually come out edible, it is nearly impossible to bake desserts in. I suppose it isn’t doing too poorly for a circa 1967 range.

I think Mike was most convinced by the argument that new appliances will make it easier to sell the house. Once we finish the rest of the kitchen renovations (countertops, wainscoting, paint), we can list our house as having an “updated kitchen.”

The replacement appliances are pretty basic. I sprung for spill-proof shelves in the fridge and a smooth cook top and self-cleaning oven in the stove. Angert’s has a great delivery price: $25 for the entire order, and the price includes taking the old appliances away! Good-bye warm refrigerator! Good-bye old stove!

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Isn't Mustard yellow immediate grounds for removal?

8:21 AM  
Blogger Kasmira said...

Not to Mike...But I burned a whole pan of bar cookies last night (the oven was even set 25 degrees cool!). Hitting him right in the stomach gets his attention!

10:20 AM  
Blogger Scott in Washington said...

We had to buy all new appliances when we moved in as the Visigoths who lived here before we did stole the old ones (as well as kitchen drawers, the deep sink out of the shed, and anything else not literally bolted down). Having matching, new stuff is definitely nice. We got perfectly serviceable white appliances. If I had it all over to do again, I think I would have wanted to spend a little more and get the manly black and polished chrome stuff that is my secret hearts desire.

11:35 AM  
Blogger Kasmira said...

Oh, by the way, have you seen how ugly our dishwasher is?
http://photos2.flickr.com/3390765_5e6bc9920c.jpg
We have a new-to-us white one in the garage. Just need to install...

12:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

secrets hearts desire...is a refrigeratior? Man this marriage stuff is a CINCH!

12:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG! Today I am saying goodbye to my 1967 Tappan Gallery...in the lovely color of avocado green. I'm of the mindset; as long as it works, color isn't a reason to buy a new stove. It bit the dust today; the oven electric coil burned itself apart.
Hello new stove!

6:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How about Army green? My Tappen is out the door today....finally. I do wish I could buy a new "retro" white unit. The new stoves are so much the same now and made by child labor in some third-world country.

7:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home