Tuesday, March 01, 2005

When Summer Comes

Whenever I’m feeling that my house projects are coming along too slowly, I think to myself, “When summer comes, I'll get that done.” It's completely irrational for me to think that I'll have more time in the summer. Perhaps it is an association from my school days, when summer meant endless hours of free time. If so, it is a powerful association because I haven’t had a summer “off” since 1993. Any vacation time I take this summer (I have 10 days for the year) will be spent traveling, not working on the house. Maybe I assume that my need for sleep will be obviated by summer sunshine. I will want to rise and retire with the sun. I’ll begin my mornings in the garden at 4:30 a.m. and spend my evenings on indoor projects until 11 p.m. Ha! I'll still need my eight hours of sleep. No matter what season it is, I’ll still have to go to work, clean the house, grocery shop, do laundry, and perform all the other little chores that eat up your time. Still, I keep saying to myself, “when summer comes…”

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Let's not forget, it's a lot easier to get motivated when it's not so cold out.

5:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think the same thing... I tend to feel much less sluggish in the summer, and the added daylight hours help too, so maybe we're not just fooling ourselves!

~Mindy

9:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is totally the sunlight, you dont' feel as much like hibernating when it is sunny, and warm...oh wait. I live in the northwest....hmm

11:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home