Monday, February 21, 2005

Easy Being Green

My dining room is now asparagus green. On Sunday, my friend Kathy and I went to Home Depot to buy the highly recommended grass cloth green paint. Upon viewing a Behr Styles Color Combination card, featuring grass cloth, I decided it was too yellow. Asparagus is very close to grass cloth, but a little greener. I was brave, and selected the new color without bringing it home to deliberate over first. The mixed paint was looked yummy, like mint icing. I remained confident until we got it home.
In Trading Spaces style, I loaded a paintbrush and swiped it across the wall. It looked putrid. Imagine asparagus against pale peach. Kathy was supportive. She convinced me that it would look good once the walls were covered and the peach gone. I figured that the worst thing that could happen would be that I would hate it and repaint next weekend.
I've never had help painting. Help is great! The job seems to go faster, because you have someone to talk to, and actually does go faster, because you have twice the labor. It probably took us longer to tape the trim than to apply the first coat. After Kathy left, I did the second coat myself, and it took more than twice as long. The finished color was vibrant and the eggshell finish was lovely. However, without Kathy's support, I began to doubt my color choice.
Mike came home late that night. I awoke and came downstairs. The first thing Mike said to me was how GREAT the dining room looked. I began to feel a little better about my very green dining room.
Today, we "loaded" the room. I like it. As I expected, the green makes the red accessories "pop." The brown items look less boring. The white trim looks especially crisp. The only negative is that it makes the other, white rooms look blah. Now I have the painting bug...I have grand plans for the hallway!



Behr's example room in asparagus.
(I'll have photos of my own room posted soon)

5 Comments:

Blogger Jenny Wren said...

That is a fabulous color. It's one of the colors in contention for my laundry room re-do. I can't wait to see your pics.

6:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't live in Cincinnati, I live in France. Like Paris, France.

I don't have a dining room to redo, just an accent wall in a tiny kitchen, I wanna paint.. GREEN.

Plus, they don't even sell Behr paint in France.

Still, I think that asparagus is the ab fab gorgeous green I need.

Your pictures of green dining-room look great.
Very good color choice !

The French Jabberwocky.

11:15 AM  
Blogger Trouble said...

I'm seriously considering this paint color for my hallway, with black white pics and spotlights on them. I think it will look very dramatic. I was glad to see that you were happy with your room that you painted the same shade, lol. I've been kind of chickening out, and have had the exact same grasscloth/asparagus debate (both paint cards are presently taped to the wall in my hallway at present, lol).

5:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I fell in love with a paint color on the website Velocity....I wanted to paint my kids room the same color and buy the linens...I wrote to ask if they knew what color it was and they wrote back Asparagus...but didnt know what brand. So I took my chance and found your site by chance. So thank you...I can now look for behr paint and do the room right.
if you want to see aparagus in a kids mod room check it our ...velocity, kids, bed linens, boodalee, trees.....cheers.

3:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wish I had found this site (and these comments) sooner...I too debated a LONG time on which color to choose for a long blah hallway in my home. My husband & I knew we wanted green, but we wanted just the right pale, warm, perfectly zen green. After my husband spent many hours painting, I didn't have the heart to tell him my first impression of this Asparagus color on our walls. It reminded me of 'Slimer' off the Ghostbusters. It just rubbed me the wrong way. It was too yellowish.
But.... after adding new white crown molding and trim around the hall, the color started to grow on me. I agree with the previous comment about hanging black and white prints on the wall (in black frames of course). I did this and it has grounded the room, brought the brightness down a notch, and given the hallway a classic sophisticated touch. I have found great black and white art at IKEA. We've also added a modern round black wicker table and 2 chairs (table top is black/white checkered).

Also, based on other comments on this site, it sounds like red accents work well with this color...i might try to incorporate some of that as well.

9:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home