Thursday, January 20, 2005

Winter Sowing

Through my reading of the Ohio Valley Gardening website on GardenWeb, I’ve learned of an exciting winter gardening activity: Winter Sowing. Seeds can be started in Dec – Feb, outdoors, in mini-greenhouses made from deli containers, milk jugs, etc. Many seeds actually require a cold period before germinating. Winter sowing is a great way to get a jump on the gardening season and save money on plants.

I’ve ordered a catalog from Park’s Seeds and, following this advice, I’ll choose seeds that will germinate with the winter sowing method. The plants will go into my flower and vegetable gardens in the spring.

If you would like more information on winter sowing the Winter Sowing forum (also on GardenWeb) is a good resource.

Happy sowing!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home