Saturday, July 08, 2006

Pit of Despair

I affectionately refer to the outdoor stairs leading to the basement as “The Pit of Despair.” This is where my winter-sown containers that did not germinate go to end their days. The green growth is, sadly, only weeds. My top non-germinating seeds were:

  • Delphinium (I should just throw this package of seed out because they didn’t germinate last year either!)
  • Ajuga
  • Sweet Woodruff
  • Wintergreen
  • White Sweet Violet
  • Butterfly Weed
  • Astilbe
  • Perennial Candytuft
  • Snow in Summer
  • Spicebush
  • Bladdernut
  • Yellowwood

    On the Winter Sowing forum, I’ve read that some seeds just take an extra year, so I plan on keeping these containers around until next spring, just in case. In the meantime, I keep checking them, looking for something familiar. (To add to the fun, the labeling has worn off all of these containers.) Once, I thought I had found a lone catmint seedling, so I bruised a leaf and rubbed it against my nose to identify it by odor. There was no smell, but my nose started tingling. The mystery plant turned out to be a nettle! Pit of Despair, indeed.

    I water the containers faithfully, and I’ve added a morning glory and black-eyed susan vine in pots to cover the window bars and add a cheery note to the bleak scene. I keep thinking that if I just wait long enough, I’ll be rewarded for my patience. Perhaps I should call it the Well of Hope, because I am not ready to give up and despair just yet.

3 Comments:

Blogger SmilingJudy said...

I have the worst luck with Delphinium also. From what I've seen, Ajuga is very thirsty and super sun-sensitive. But, I guess if you didn't even get a seedling out of it, that doesn't come into play.

8:11 PM  
Blogger OldRoses said...

I've tried and failed to start most of the same things from seed.

12:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a place i toss old peat pots that didnt germinate...i know that you mean

11:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home