Friday, July 07, 2006

My Favorite Spot, July 7th

My favorite spot this week is nothing new. I must have taken dozens of pictures of the sun bed and magnolia bed this year. It’s July and I’m still very pleased with both areas.

The sun bed is on its second year. Last spring, I ripped out three old yews to make way for flowers and flowering shrubs. It was hard, dirty work, but nothing “double-digs” your soil like removing shrubs older than you are! Currently blooming in the sun bed (roughly from left to right):
Nasturtium “Empress of India”
Balloon Flower “Fuji Blue”
Burgundy Gaillardia
Sage “East Friesland”
Monarda
Purple Loosestrife
Heliopsis
Black-eyed Susan
Shasta Daisy
Butterfly Weed

The magnolia bed is only in its first year. I created it with the newspaper and mulch (straw in this case) method last fall. Blooming in the magnolia bed (view the set to see the flowers not included in this shot):
Red Poppy
Red Hot Poker
Yellow Asiatic Lily
Pink Oriental Lily
Zinnia
Nemesia (?)
Dianthus “Firewitch”
California Poppy
Sweet peas

I’d like to know (honestly!) what you would think if you walked up to our front door, through this flowery jungle. (You can click on the photo for a bigger view.) Mike categorizes it as “crazy,” but I think it’s “charming.” Is it over the top?

14 Comments:

Blogger Maggie said...

I think it's really pretty! Awesome colors!

6:16 AM  
Blogger Ms. Conduct said...

I think it's absolutely lovely! I'd think, "Ohh! A gardener lives here!" But of course, I'm fond of that sort of wild cottage style. But I think the lambs ear(?) along the walk sort of reigns it in. Without that it might feel unintentionally "overgrown" but as it is, it just looks happy and charming.

6:36 AM  
Blogger Catherine said...

I WISH I had a front walk like that! It's fabulously charming!

6:50 AM  
Blogger Allison said...

I love it. And I'm jealous!!!

takoma-bark.com

6:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it's beautiful. I'm plotting to add more beds in my front yard, although my husband doesn't know it. Mwahahahaha.

7:02 AM  
Blogger Christine Boles said...

CAN a flower garden be too over-the-top?? I've never seen one that fit that description in a negative way.

It's beautiful.

8:23 AM  
Blogger Jenn said...

Perfect cottage style. There is no over the top.

9:34 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I love it, too. It would take me forever to get to your front door, though, because I'd be stopping to make mental notes of plant combinations and such along the way! :)

5:29 PM  
Blogger Carol Michel said...

Your front entrance is beautiful, not over the top at all... a true gardener's delight. Thanks for sharing.

6:19 PM  
Blogger Robin said...

It has a nice cottage garden feel to it. I love it! :)

8:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's LOVELY! I wish my plants would fill in like that. Patience is a virtue, and that's one of my biggest reasons for gardening: to get me some of that patience stuff ASAP!

6:24 PM  
Blogger Poppy said...

Very pretty!

3:17 PM  
Blogger Diana LaMarre said...

Imagine it with only grass -- how boring!
If I walked up to your front door, I would know immediately that a cottage gardener lives here.

4:04 PM  
Blogger OldRoses said...

Over the top? NO WAY! Although I have to admit it would probably take me half a day to get to your front door. I'd be so engrossed in your flowers. I'm working on my entrance garden. Every year I hope it will be bigger and better.

8:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home