Monday, May 01, 2006

My Favorite Spot, April 28th

Besides being incredibly busy with work and planting last week, I simply didn’t have a favorite spot to highlight last Friday! Many of the beds are still a wreck. Those that are “finished” don’t have much blooming. I’ve made a mental note to plant something to fill the blank spots next year.

Looking at my neighbors' gardens last week, the predominate perennials were tulips, candytuft, columbine, and the last of the moss phlox. I plan on planting more of all of these this fall. I do have brunnera blooming, but it’s hidden behind some shrubs. I will be moving the self-sown plants into the spotlight this week. I’m also adding a few more azaleas (blooming now). I’m too cheap to buy annuals for a fix of color. I grew all of mine from seed and they are still just babies. Any other suggestions for flowers to fill the gap?

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I planted some woodland phlox (phlox divaricata) last spring and am seeing blooms for the first time. The variety I have is "Louisiana Blue" and the color is just gorgeous.

Other than my creeping phlox, tulips and lilacs, the only thing I have in bloom is coreopsis "Nana," which is just starting up. I have lots of buds of my Dutch irises, so I'm looking forward to that.

7:33 AM  
Blogger OldRoses said...

Bleeding Hearts! Both of mine are blooming right now. I have the small fernleaf one and the larger Old-Fashioned one. Mine is pink. I just planted a white one today. I think the fernleaf ones come in white also. Mine is pink.

2:40 PM  
Blogger Kasmira said...

I planted two bare-root bleeding hearts this spring, but they didn't put on much of a show. I hope they bloom more profusely next spring!

7:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home