Friday, April 21, 2006

My Favorite Spot, April 21st

I love my spring shade garden. It is mostly ephemeral. The bleeding hearts, shooting stars, and celandine poppy will completely die back by mid-summer, but, in April, they are freshly green and brightly blooming. They steal center stage while the ferns and hostas are merely emerging nubs. The delicate flowers’ fleeting appearance warrants a nomination as my favorite spot of the week.

As I tucked my newly acquired mini-hostas among my spring delights, the task serendipitously brought me close enough to my shooting stars to detect a light, honey fragrance from the little gems. Not only is this scene pretty, it smells nice!

Adding to the nook’s charm, is the fact that many of the plants were gifts. I am reminded of my gardening friends as I gaze upon my treasures.

The garden will be dominated by hostas, ferns, and toad lilies by summer, but I have an annual reminder of spring’s beauty, fragrance, and generosity.

5 Comments:

Blogger Susan Harris said...

Is that a real turtle? I want one!

9:02 AM  
Blogger Kasmira said...

He isn't real, but he came with the house. I guess he'll stay with it when we move.

3:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My shade bed is one of my favorite spots, too. But, as I am at the other end of the state, everything is just now starting to bud. It's nice to see what it will look like in a week or two. :)

8:02 PM  
Blogger Dianne said...

I too, love the wildflowers of April! Your garden looks very inviting. I need to get some shooting stars-they are so different.
I have a garden halfway around an evergreen and almost everything in it was taken from other parts of my yard. This year I added bleeding hearts-some of the coolest plants I've ever seen. The mama plant was sadly hidden behind an azalea and I dug her out and got 4 babies in return-they all lived.

8:28 PM  
Blogger Diana LaMarre said...

Kasmira,
I don't think I have ever seen shooting stars. Thank you for all the info about them. I think they are quite an interesting little flower.

Your spring garden looks great. It's hard to believe you have only been gardening for a year.

3:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home