Friday, April 07, 2006

My Favorite Spot, April 7th

Right now, I could sit on my front stoop all day long. All sixteen hyacinth bulbs I planted last fall are blooming and the air smells incredibly sweet. The pots of enormous, white hyacinths I forced during the winter add to the perfume. The moss phlox is greening up and preparing to bloom. The asters, while sure to be raging monsters by August, are presently demure, green clumps. I recently added mini roses to the tableau. Their fiery blooms will not appear until June, but the fresh, rosy new growth is welcome after a long, brown winter. When the rest of the garden frustrates me with sucking mud and bare mulch, I retreat to the porch steps to survey the bit of my domain that is presently pretty as a picture.

*My intent is to feature a weekly photo of my current favorite area of the garden. It can’t ALL look good at once, so I might as well revel in the pleasing patches while they last.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I read of your blog in an article on CNN's home page. What a lovely garden. Have a nice day! Grace

8:58 AM  
Blogger Rachel said...

It looks real pretty!! I just love the spring flowers. My daffodils and tulips are so pretty right now.

7:39 PM  
Blogger Tami said...

That's the way it is done for the magazines, (ya just don't shoot the ugly spots). I think most of our gardens are like that, we have different areas the are awe inspiring at different times of the year. I bet your front step is heavenly! I enjoy your blog

5:57 AM  
Blogger David (Snappy) said...

I think it looks very tranquil and pretty.Spring excites me when bulb plants shoot up and flower.I walk miles to and from work and love looking at the peoples gardens.
Daffodils, tulips, small blue iris plants, and hyacinths..

10:09 AM  
Blogger Diana LaMarre said...

That looks very pretty. I can see why you enjoy sitting on the stoop. I have a few hyacinths that are almost ready to bloom.

5:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lovely blog to come across on this bitter cold Cincinnati day. Home from work and searching for local blogs on gardening, flowers, something beautiful that holds promise...

I admit, I dream of my beautiful irises in bloom in my front yard when I want to feel up since winter's darkness depresses the heck out of me. Those irises are so incredibly beautiful that is the sole focus in my front yard--just the way I want it to be.

Love your blog. Spring's coming! Jeanne, Loveland

8:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home