Friday, September 02, 2005

Butterfly Buddies

My winter sowing had its successes and its failures. After researching the lifecycle of perennials a bit more, I did not expect even my successes to bloom the first year. I know I won’t see my first columbine bloom until next spring, assuming my fragile seedlings make it through the winter. My hardy hibiscus are a vigorous twelve inches tall, but did not flower. However, I was pleasantly surprised to see that one of my butterfly weeds did bloom. The plant is floppy and the flower head is small, but it brought me a great deal of satisfaction to see a perennial bloom from seed the first year. I was also tickled by the contrast of the orange butterfly weed next to the purple butterfly bush. It looks as if I have a colorful butterfly garden in the making. I will be sowing butterfly weed again this winter to increase my supply of bright orange flowers.

3 Comments:

Blogger Diana LaMarre said...

Congratulations! I am quite impressed when anyone can get a bloom from seeds as I have very little luck with them. I like the idea of butterfly bush and butterfly weed grown together. Purple and orange is a favorite combo of mine.

5:56 PM  
Blogger Dianne said...

That's pretty awesome Kasmira. Glad you got a bloom-and best wishes for a bigger plant next spring!

9:45 PM  
Blogger OldRoses said...

Love that color combo! And don't fret about the "fragile" columbine seedlings. They will make it through the winter just fine and be HUGE next spring. Columbines are practically a weed in my gardens. Not a problem for me cuz I luv 'em!

11:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home