Wednesday, August 10, 2005

The North Corner

The north corner of the back yard is particularly ugly. It is very shady and the heavy soil is nearly soaked all year. Needless to say, no grass survives there, but even the weeds are having trouble. I've gone through a few schemes to renovate the corner. I first considered installing a pond, but most pond plants need bright light. I was also warned against putting a pond in the lowest corner of the yard because the runoff would make it difficult to keep clean. I next considered taking advantage of the area's naturally boggy conditions with a rain garden. Again, though, rain garden plants need light. Another problem with both a pond and rain garden is that I want some height in the corner to obscure the fence and the view of the neighbor's yards.

My latest brainchild is to limb up the trees and build a raised gazebo, surrounded by a shade garden. Then, I'd have the height I desire without worrying about the muddy ground. However, a gazebo requires either a lot of money or my development of some serious carpentry skills (or both). The project is on hold until at least next year, so there is no rush to decide. I have time to gather new ideas or win the lottery.

While poking about the north corner last night, I discovered a lovely surprise. This ugly, spreading tree has the most enchanting pink flowers (although unscented). It isn't flowering heavily, probably due to years of neglect. If I could identify it, I could try to improve its health or even take a cutting for elsewhere in the yard.

Perhaps the north corner has potential after all.



6 Comments:

Blogger amanda said...

Is it a Rose of Sharon? Hard to tell! Good luck

2:44 PM  
Blogger crazygramma said...

I'm not sure but it is pretty.

9:20 PM  
Blogger Jenn said...

Yep. Rose of Sharon, or Hibiscus syriacus.

Nice!

6:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Rose of Sharon does run rampant but they are pretty.

When I bought my house there was a large rose of sharon tree in the back yard and I decided to leave it even though it was right where I wanted to put my deck.

About a month later I was mowing the lawn and tried to get close to the tree and touched it with the mower and it fell over. Completely rotted through but still full of leaves and flowers. Strange Plant..

7:26 AM  
Blogger Sylvana said...

You could always plant willow in your boggy/clay area. They will make a nice screen and suck up all the extra moisture so that you can also plant other things there too.

1:21 PM  
Blogger OldRoses said...

Willows were going to be my suggestion, but I see that Sylvana beat me to it.

11:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home