Friday, August 12, 2005

I Like 'Em Bright!

My neighbor has a lovely garden. The front is themed in pink and purple. Her front yard is semi-shady, and the pink, purple, and white flowers look cool and creamy against the green. I, on the other hand, favor carnival bright colors and combinations. It isn't just my yard that is full of bright colors. My favorite colors in my wardrobe are fuchsia, lime green, and red (but not all together!). My wedding colors were fuchsia and orange. You can imagine how thrilled I was when my friend announced that her colors would be fuschia, orange, and lime green.

I threw her a shower in late June. For party favors, I planted terracotta pots with plants in her colors. Unfortunately, in my haste to make the other preparations for the party, I didn't get a picture of the potted masterpieces, but I did take a photo of the plants before potting.

After creating the favors, I had extra plants (mostly non-blooming) and I potted them up for myself. Prior to this project, I never would have bought annuals. I considered it a waste of money to purchase plants that would only last one season. However, I am enjoying the shower's leftovers so much, that I'm considering many more containers of annuals next year. I adore the their free flowering habit and the eye-popping colors!

3 Comments:

Blogger Dianne said...

I never see annuals as a waste of money. With marigolds and zinnias, you can gather and save the seeds (just to name a few)for next year. Annuals are nice to fill in bare spots in your perennial garden. Sometimes an annual will surprise me and I will find a plant that was used last year (it has seeded itself). For instance-this year I have this gorgeous huge plant of salmon portucula blooming out of the corner of my sidewalk.

9:01 PM  
Blogger Dianne said...

I love orange and blue/purple next to each other too.

9:03 PM  
Blogger OldRoses said...

I'm too cheap to buy annuals as plants. I always grow them from seed. I used to do the same thing with perennials, but lately I've been getting lazy and bought some plants. I agree with Dianne that annuals are great for filling in spaces between perennials.

9:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home